Mother!Pearl x Child!Reader

Pearl's P.O.V

Steven giggled as he poked (y/n)'s face. "Steven!" I spluttered, "don't do that!"

"But she's so cuuuuuute!" Steven cooed at the sleeping toddler.

"Yes but you don't need to poke the poor baby's face." I said, scooping up the sleeping child in my arms.

"Sorry Pearl..." Steven apologised.

"Where's Connie? I thought she was meant to come over today?" I asked, noticing the absence of the little girl.

"She got sick and couldn't make it today... I told her I could heal her but she pointed out that her parents wouldn't know how to explain it being doctors and all." Steven sighed.

"Well you could help me with (y/n)." I said, rocking her gently as she began to stir.

"Woah really?!" Steven asked.

"Of course, just don't poke her face again." As if on cue, the small human woke up, reaching her arms out towards me.

"Aww!" Steven sighed dreamily as I hugged (y/n). I patted Steven on the head as I stood up.

"Steven, would you be kind and get me her bottle of milk?" Steven nodded before quickly obliging.

He swiped it off the kitchen counter as (y/n) sat up, her adorable (e/c) eyes staring right back at me.

"You know Pearl, I once saw a mom and a baby at a beach and the baby didn't have a bottle. Dad told me to not ask the lady what she was doing with the baby because the baby was busy being fed..."

I blushed and waved a hand as I shifted my legs to make a circle, my feet touching together as (y/n) crawled around the small space.

"There are different ways an infant can be taken care of Steven, and usually the infant is taken care of someone by the same species or someone who has similar organs, I for one am not the same species, similar or plan on shapeshifting organs."

Steven shrugged my miniature lecture off as he eyed (y/n) crawling over my leg. "I'm surprised you kept her." He suddenly spoke.

"What makes you say that Steven?" I asked.

"I thought you don't like humans since mom liked them..." he blinked at me as I digested his words.

"Well, I never realised why Rose loved humans so much but..." (y/n) grasped ahold of my finger with one of her small chubby hands, "but I guess (y/n) showed me why."

I smiled as she raised both arms, attempting to get me to lift her. I picked her up and cradled her, keeping her close to my chest and smoothening her (h/c) locks.

Steven played with the rim of his shirt. "You're a cool mom Pearl..." he said finally as (y/n) licked my face.

"Ew!" Steven laughed as I wiped the germs.

"You humans are so random." I scolded her as she giggled, rubbing her cheek against mine.

"Pearl?" Steven asked I looked at him.

"Hmm?" I hummed in response.

"Garnet told me you signed adoption papers for (y/n)... is that true?" I looked at Steven before deciding to speak with Garnet about personal conversations later.

"Well yes." I responded casually as (y/n) tried to lift her body off the floor, using my fingers as places to grip onto while she took baby steps.

"Oh my gosh she's walking!" Steven cooed.

"That's right! I've been teaching her how to do that for a few days... although she never can stand alone." I watched as the child concentrated hard on the wooden floor.

Small shaky steps proceeded afterwards as she wobbled her way closer to me. "That's it sweetheart! Come on!" I encouraged her, smiling as she giggled.

She finally stepped as close as possible to me as Steven cheered, handing her a pacifier as a reward.

The dummy instantly connected with her mouth as she blinked around sleepily, hugging my arm before falling asleep standing up.

I scooped her into my arms as I lightly rocked her, brushing away loose strands of hair.

"Pearl," Steven began, causing me to look up, "I think you're pretty great." He said smiling.

I ruffle his hair before returning my attention towards (y/n). I rubbed my right thumb over her soft cheek in affection as I bent down and kissed her lightly on the forehead, humming a lullaby Rose had spoken of many times before, the words long forgotten.