The Longest Time Ago ~ Crystal Gems x Reader ~ Finale (Pt 1)

A story is a combination of letters, 26 letters created the alphabet and that was what humans used to communicate. A story also contains pictures, illustrations, visuals, something pretty to look at while you listened to your mom ramble on about the fairies and the ponies.

But (y/n)' favourite story never had pictures, it was a short story, no complication and no antagonist, only a few lines long and composed by her mother.

Her mother loved stories, writing was her passion and creating new story for children was her job, in her opinion, there was nothing better for a living. (Y/n) never knew her father, dead long before she could open her eyes, but she was told that she looked a lot like him with (h/c) hair and (e/c) eyes.

She never met her grandparents either but it was apparently them who inspired her favourite story. (Y/n) made a mental note to thank them when she met them in heaven.

But like all good stories, there's always an ending. The only problem was that she wasn't quite sure what her favourite story's was.

Beach City didn't have many answers either, none of the citizen children and people her age had any idea of what the story she had recounted hundreds of times was.

And her mother wasn't there to hold her hand and explain.

Time was a petty thing (y/n) learned, you only have so little, and perhaps it was that or the giant floating thing in the sky that started a brand new story just for her.

The death of the last family member wasn't exactly how she expected it to go. There was barely a time to stop and think about the events that had passed because the last words she had heard were a request, a mission, something that should have been entirely false.

The second sun.

There had only ever been one sun before but there was no doubt about the red one the size of a pea in the sky.

Her mother never warned her about such thing and the only advice was what was left, her favourite story.

"(Y/n)," her mother had said, all weak and frail with illness, "if the chance should come when unexplained occurrences begin, run. They are not friendly and they will hurt you, you will need the help of your grandparents' friends, long ago they left and long ago they disbanded, find them, and reunite them."

(Y/n) wasn't sure if this was just another story but took the key to her mother's bedside table.

If they were indeed friends of her grandparents then surely they would be too old to help, frail and on their own death beds too. But (Y/n) listened anyways and kept the precious key beside her at all times.

There wasn't really any use for the key, it became a forgotten tool, one that rested at the very bottom of her draw, left to be buried within undergarments. And (Y/n) soon forgot the story.

But the second sun reminded her again.

Something about a second sun, and then someone was gone.

But who?

(Y/n) racked her brain, digging through drawers and cupboards for anything to fulfil her questions, a piece of paper, a journal, a letter. Nothing. She sat down on her bed, ignoring the creases that usually would have disturbed her mother's OCD greatly.

But her mother wasn't here anymore, she was long gone and the only thing she had left from her was pictures and an old rusty key- that was it.

The old key at the bottom of her clothes draw, resting cold and untouched for weeks and months, awaiting the moment it was created for. (Y/n) stood up quickly, adrenaline filling her body as she excitedly made her way to the draw beside her bed. She pulled the knob quickly, discarding the items of clothing to the floor and allowing for them to lay in a bundle at her feet.