The Longest Time Ago ~ Crystal Gems x Reader ~ Finale (Pt 6)

Empire City was exactly as it sounded. An empire, hundreds of buildings all cramped into a singular area with a whooping population of at least half a million. Busy roads, busy lights and busy people, each doing their own things and making their own ways through their own walks of life.

"Oh this is the place Steven showed me when I first settled on Earth." Lapis exclaimed, eyeing the loud machines that populated the roads. "It was just as busy as it is now."

"Well this could be slightly problematic." Pearl spoke up, turning to Garnet, "There are on average 50 McDonald's restaurants in a city and we have no map to indicate where they all are!" Garnet placed a hand on Pearl's shoulders reassuringly.

"Pearl." She said, voice stead and calm, "It's going to be alright- I know where to go." Garnet smiled confidently, leading the group of gems through the busy world.

"I wonder why Amethyst decided to take up a job." Peridot began, "Why does she need all that money?"

"A place to stay." Garnet explained knowingly, "She didn't want to return to the kindergarten after we disbanded and stayed as close as possible to people."

"Well, she sounds successful." Lapis said, "And smart too, being close to people prevents insanity, or the most of it at the very least." She nodded in approval as Garnet stopped at a pedestrian's crossing.

"Garnet, we can fly over to the other side." Lapis pointed out.

"Or I can stop the cars with my metal powers." Peridot suggested, pulling away for only a second from Lapis.

"We can't disrupt the human ecosystem here, we will attract too much attention." Garnet explained, patiently crossing the street as the green light signalled it was okay. The others followed, somewhat understanding the consequences of the actions and decided not to question them anymore.

"Amethyst is three blocks down from here, her lunch break starts in about 10 minutes which gives us enough time to speak with her." Confidence asserted the small group.

"Do you think Amethyst will join us?" (Y/n) spoke up. Garnet grumbled.

"Mmmhh, I don't know, it's hard to tell with Amethyst... But the favours are with us so I'm going to say most likely." Garnet explained.

"Well it's better than no hope at all." Pearl shrugged, fingers fiddling. "I hope she's okay, I mean, I haven't seen her for so long- none of us have...it's so strange to be a part of the Crystal Gems again, even if this is only temporary-"

"Temporary?" (Y/n) repeated in surprise.

"Well, I didn't think we were going to get back together after all of this... I mean, I didn't even believe we would get this far!" Pearl admitted.

"Well I'm not returning to isolation." Lapis said defensively, hugging Peridot.

"Neither." The green gem agreed.

"We can talk about the Crystal Gems later." Garnet said, a finger pointing towards a smaller purple figure across the road. A bag of what looked like trash was in her arms as she opened the larger dumpster to fill. Her back facing the group who slowly made their way towards the figure.

(Y/n) could make out purple tinted skin with long, purple tinted, white hair, the woman was short, a bit taller than what Peridot stood at and was rather plump, muscles lining her body.

"Amethyst." Garnet spoke slowly, "Good to see you."

Amethyst didn't dare turn around, almost surprised to be addressed in such manner. The bag of rubbish was thrown away as the woman folded her arms, back still facing away. "Depends... who's asking?" Her voice was raspy and somewhat dry, a hint of worry filling her voice.