Chapter 4

Chapter 4

Saturday night Hannah and I headed over to our church for a "lock in" with our youth group where we were locked inside our church from six in the evening until around nine morning. Lock ins were so much fun. We'd stay up and watch movies, eat snacks, play games, and a bunch of other fun stuff.

I was so excited until we walked in and I spotted him.

Ryan saw us walk in and scowled at us. He started walking toward us looking angry.

"What are you doing here, Reeker? This was supposed to be a fun night and now you've ruined it," he said to me.

"I go to church here. What are you doing here, Martin?" I asked with as much attitude as I could.

"My friend Jason invited me to come," he said.

Jason? As in my friend Jason? You've gotta be kidding me. Jason knew how much I hated Ryan. Why would he invite him knowing that I was coming too? Great, now my night was ruined. I hope you're happy, Jason.

I spotted Jason and headed toward him, pushing Ryan out of my way. Jason saw me coming and could tell I was mad.

"Why did you invite that jerk?" I whisper-yelled.

Jason grimaced. "I'm sorry. He didn't have anything better to do so I thought I'd invite him to the lock in. I kind of forgot you two hated each other. Sorry."

He actually looked genuinely sorry so I calmed down a little. I took in a deep breath and glanced at Ryan who was standing with Hannah, watching me.

I turned back to Jason. "Just keep him away from me. Please."

"I'll try, and since he hates you too, I don't think it'll be that hard," Jason said. He had a point. Ryan hated me just as much as I hated him so he would probably stay away from me anyways. Some times Ryan liked to hang around me just to annoy me and anger me, but most of the time he avoided me.

I walked back to Ryan and Hannah. I crossed my arms and stared Ryan down. Oh, how I wanted to punch him.

"Look, we're both here and obviously neither of us are going to leave so let's just stay away from each other and we'll get through the night with limited misery," I told Ryan.

"Fine," he murmured as he stomped back to Jason.

"This should be interesting," I said, rolling my eyes.

Me and Hannah found a spot to set up our sleeping bags. The spot we, actually Hannah, chose was right near the edge of the balcony. The balcony upstairs looked over the entire service room. It was actually pretty cool to stand up there. It would be really awesome to put a squishy mat under the edge of the balcony so we could jump off and land on the mat. That'd be so much fun. You know, as long as everyone landed on the mat. Maybe we should do it and I could move the mat out of the way right before Ryan landed on it.

Hannah's voice brought me out of my murderous thoughts, "...asking if I wanted to hang out after school tomorrow!"

Hannah looked and sounded really excited. Which meant that whatever she had just said was probably important. And I heard absolutely none of it. Oopsies.

Apparently Hannah could tell just by my expression that I hadn't been listening. She scowled at me then repeated what she had said.

"I said, that I can't wait until tomorrow because Kyle just texted me asking if I wanted to hang out after school!" she said, her scowl quickly turning into a smile.

"That's great. Maybe you two will hit it off," I winked at her.

Hannah giggled, "I hope so."

"Okay everyone, gather around! We're going to start the games soon!" our youth pastor called out to everyone.