Chapter 10

Chapter 10

To say I was excited to finally be going on a date with Joe was probably the biggest understatement ever. I couldn't stop smiling the whole ride there. At first I had been worried that the date would be awkward, but Joe kept making me laugh and kept the mood light and comfortable. He took me to see some romantic comedy, and of course, I cried. 

"How'd you like the movie?" Joe asked as he drove us to some restaurant that he wouldn't tell me the name of because it was a surprise.

" It was great. I loved it," I smiled.

"I thought you'd like it," he grinned.

He turned into the driveway for a very fancy restaurant. My eyes widened as I took in the sight of The Diamond. It was this really expensive restaurant that only wealthy people could have any hope of affording. Oh yeah, I'd almost forgotten that Joe's parents were rich. I guess that explains why he's taking me to dinner at The Diamond.

"Whoa," I breathed.

The Diamond was a two-story building. The first floor was just the waiting room. The second floor was where the actual restaurant was at. The entire front wall of the building was made of glass so that the customers could look over the city while they ate. There were a bunch of little lights around the building's edges, shining through the otherwise dark night. 

"Too fancy?" Joe asked sheepishly, scratching the back of his neck.

"No, it's nice," I smiled, but the truth was, it was a little too fancy for my liking. But I was with Joe so I figured it didn't really matter where we went.

"Oh, good," Joe smiled, relived.

He jumped out of the car, ran to the passenger side, and held my door ope for me.

"Thanks," I smiled at him. 

He smiled and winked at me before taking my hand in his and leading me toward the front door. My breath caught when he entwined his fingers in mine. I'd been wanting him to hold my hand for years, but now that he actually was, it didn't feel right.

"Reservation for Krauss," Joe told the hostess on the first floor.

"Krauss, table for two?" the lady read off of her clipboard.

Joe nodded then smiled at me. I smiled back.

"Right this way, please," the lady said politely, as she grabbed two menus from her booth.

We followed the hostess over to one of the elevators and she took us to the top floor. 

"Here you are. Your waiter will be with you in a moment. Can I do anything else for you tonight?" the hostess asked as she sat us in a table right by the glass wall overlooking the city. 

 "No, that will be all, thank you," Joe said politely.

The woman smiled, dipped her head, and returned to her post downstairs. 

I looked around. There weren't many other people here, which is what I'd expected since the place was so expensive. There was a large chandelier hanging in the middle of the room, classical music was playing, and everyone was chatting while sipping on their wine. 

I suddenly felt so out of place here. I felt of out of place with Joe. Sure he might seem like a normal guy in school, but outside of school he lived this fancy, posh life that I could never fit into.

"Alexis, look out the window," Joe smiled softly.

I turned to look and my mouth dropped. The view was incredible. You could see the city for miles. I saw all of the tall hotels, the stores lit up, all of the cars zipping back and forth on the busy roads.