Chapter 30

Chapter 30

Cameron had been in the hospital for a week. The doctors said that Cameron had lasted longer than they'd thought, but things still looked bad. Everyone was starting to give up hope. Except me. If Cameron was still breathing then there was still hope for him. I wasn't giving up.

Me, Ryan, Hannah, and my parents were sitting in Cameron's hospital room again. The four of them were making small talk while I stared at my unconscious brother. 

I jumped a little when my phone suddenly rang in my pocket. I rolled my eyes, knowing who was calling. I took the phone out of my pocket and glanced at the caller ID. I was right: Tyler was calling. Again. For the past week I'd been ignoring him at school and ignoring his texts and calls. I sighed and finally decided to answer one of Tyler's calls.

"Hello?" I tried not to sound annoyed.

"Lexi?" Tyler answered in a surprised voice.

"Yeah?" I glanced over and saw everyone giving me curious looks.

"What's going on? Is Cameron okay? Are you okay? You haven't been talking to me all week," Tyler babbled frantically.

"Everything's fine, Tyler," I said, making sure I said his name so that everyone knew who was on the phone.

Everyone nodded and continued talking.

"Is there anything I can do to help?" Tyler asked.

"No, Tyler. There isn't. I just need you to leave me alone right now, okay? I'm sorry, but I don't have time for this," I tried to say as nicely as possible, but I just sounded irritated,

There was a pause. Tyler waited so long to say something that I thought he'd hung up.

I was just about to hang up when Tyler said quietly, "But you have time for Ryan."

I sucked in a breathe, "Is that what this is about? You're jealous of Ryan."

"I didn't say that. But... Kind of. You'll let him be there for you but not me. I still really like you, Lexi. All I'm asking for is a chance."

He was really making me angry now. I took in a deep breath and tried to calm myself, but as soon as I started talking, I got angry again.

I said hotly, "I don't have time for relationships right now, Tyler. My brother is dying. And whatever goes on between me and Ryan doesn't concern you. I don't like you anymore, Tyler, so please leave me alone. Maybe after Cameron wakes up we can still be friends, but if I were you I wouldn't hold my breath."

I quickly hung up. When I turned around to face the others, I saw that they were all staring t me, their mouths hanging open. I sat next to Ryan and let him take my hand in his.

"Everything okay, Lexi?" he asked slowly.

"Fine," I said shortly even though everything was most certainly not fine.

But everyone knew not to push me when I said that everything was fine so they all continued talking about whatever they'd been talking about before. 

My mother suddenly stood up, "Hey, why don't we all go out for dinner?"

"That sounds like a great idea," Dad agreed.

Hannah and Ryan nodded and stood with them. 

"You coming with us, Lexi?" Hannah asked.

I shook my head, "No thanks. I'd rather stay here."

Hannah frowned, "It'd be good for you if you came with us though. It'd be good for you to get out and get some fresh air and-"

Ryan cut her off by shaking his head and softly saying, "Hannah." Ryan turned to me. "We'll be back in an hour or so. Get some food in the cafeteria if you get hungry."

He smiled and handed me some money. I tried to protest, but he insisted I take his money.

"Thanks, Ryan," I said as I hugged him.

Hannah and my parents left the room, but Ryan stayed behind. 

"Anything for you, princess," he said softly, letting me go. "Is there anything I can do for you?"

I smiled and shook my head, "You've done enough. I'm good for now. See you when you get back."

"See you later," Ryan said.

He lightly kissed me then left the room without saying another word.

I smiled, still feeling his lips on mine. 

I sat in the chair next to Cameron's bed and took his hand in mine. For a  moment, I just sat there and stared at his still body. He had bruises and scratches all over his arm and face from the car accident. 

I wasn't even aware that I was crying until a teardrop fell onto Cameron's arm. After that, I lost it. I began crying uncontrollably. My heart felt like it was going to explode. 

I thought about how, if he didn't wake up, I'd never hear his voice again, never get to hug him again, never get to listen to him tell his same, stupid jokes, never get to go to his graduation or wedding. What I wouldn't give to see his blue eyes sparkle or to hear his deep laugh again. 

"Cameron, please wake up," I begged him as I sobbed.

"Please," I whispered as I brushed his long, blonde hair out of his eyes. 

I sat there in silence for about ten minutes before pulling myself together. I started searching through the draws in the nightstands next to Cameron's bed. In one of the top draws I found a Bible. I hadn't read a Bible in a while even though me and my family were Christians. 

I stared at it for a moment before slowly picking it up. I wiped the dust off the top of it and opened it to the book of Matthew. I read through it until I reached Matthew 21:22.

"If you believe, you will receive whatever you ask for in prayer." - Matthew 21:22

My breath caught. I quickly held Cameron's hand again and knelt next to his bed. 

I took a deep breath then started, "Lord.... I-I know I don't talk to You much anymore, since Cameron got hit by that drunk driver. and I'm sorry."

Tears started sliding down my cheeks, but I kept talking in between sobs, "I'm not very good at this sort of thing, but I'm going to try. Please.... Please don't take Cameron from us. I don't know why You let this happen, but please don't let it go any further. Please give him back to us. Me and my parents, we need him. Please give him back. Please wake him up. I don't know what else to say. I just know that I need my brother and You're the only one Who can save him. Please, God."

I stopped and listened for a moment. I guess I expected to hear a voice or something, but all I got was silence. 

"Please," I begged once more as I let my face fall onto Cameron's bed. 

i still heard nothing, felt nothing. Cameron was still in a coma with no signs of healing.

I sat there like that for the next half hour, crying my heart out, holding on to my dying brother's hand.

A/N: Hey! Short chapter, next one will hopefully be longer though! Only a few chapters left! Hope everyone is still enjoying my book! Love y'all! PLEASE tell me what you think!! Comment/vote/share! (: