Chapter 9

Chapter 9

I saw Ryan walking down the hallway. I ran to catch up with him, calling his name. He ignored me. I ran harder, trying to reach him.

"Ryan," I gasped, out of breath.

I put a hand on his shoulder and turned him around to face me.

"What do you want?" Ryan asked coldly.

"I wanted to... To uh... Well, about Clair... I thought I should.. I mean..." I tried to get the words out but they wouldn't come.

Ryan rolled his eyes and started to walk away but I pulled him back.

I swallowed hard, "I'm sorry, Ryan. I shouldn't have done that."

Ryan looked shocked. I couldn't blame him. I was shocked too. We'd hated each other for years and now I was actually apologizing to him.

"I'm sorry. I went too far, and I feel awful. Can... Can you forgive me?" I asked softly.

Instead of answering me, Ryan wrapped his strong arms around my waist. He pulled me closer to him. I felt my breath catch in my throat. Ryan moved his lips closer to mine, slowly closing the distance....

Beep! Beep! Beep!

I quickly sat upright in my bed. I slapped the snooze button on my alarm clock.

It was just a dream. I groaned, dragged my hands down my face.

"Alexis, hurry up and get ready! I'm making breakfast!" Mom called to me through my closed door.

I rolled myself out of bed and tried to find the will to get ready. But that dream hasn't put me in a particularly good mood so I didn't feel like looking decent today. I was totally okay with looking like a zombie at school today.

I donned a pair of sweatpants and a sweatshirt. I completely skipped makeup, and went with a simple messy bun. I walked lazily downstairs toward the kitchen to find my mom cooking pancakes. My favorite. I breathed in the delicious smell.

"Thanks, Momma," I said as she flopped two big pancakes down on the plate in front of me.

I quickly ate both pancakes. Well, more like I inhaled them, but let's act like I used some manners.

"Almost ready, sweetheart?" my dad asked me as he entered the kitchen.

I nodded then washed my plate off. I grabbed my book bag on the way out the door then hopped into my dad's car. I stared out the window as he drove me to school.

I couldn't stop thinking about my dream last night. For one thing, I was kind of shocked that I'd actually apologized to Ryan, even though it was only a dream.

But I mostly couldn't stop thinking about it because he was about to kiss me. Not only was Ryan about to kiss me, but I was kind of disappointed when I woke up before his lips actually reached mine.

"Have a good day at school, sweetie," Dad's voice interrupted my thoughts.

I said goodbye then headed toward the school. I took a deep breath before I entered. I couldn't decide if I wanted to see Ryan today or not. I was nervous because I still hadn't made up my mind on whether or not I should really apologize to Ryan. And now I also had this dream clouding my thoughts.

I knew one thing though: I could not tell Hannah about my dream. She would never shut up about it. She already thinks me and Ryan should be a couple, even though we hate each other's guts, and if I told her my dream then it'd only make things worse.