Chapter 14

Chapter 14

Hannah hadn't shut up about me and Ryan. That was all she would talk about Monday at school.

"What would you say if he asked you to be his girlfriend?" Hannah smirked as we arrived at the school library.

I thought about it for a moment. What would I say? I couldn't date him, could I?

"I'd tell him no. Although he isn't as horrible as I thought, I still don't actually like him," I said as I scanned the shelves for any interesting books.

"What! Why?" Hannah whined.

I rolled my eyes, "Hannah, I could never date Ryan. Yeah, we get along better now, but he still annoys me and I don't like him."

Hannah scoffed, "You're in denial."

"Whatever you say, Han."

She dropped the subject and we continued to look through the books.

"Ooh, I'm getting this one. It's got a vampire hottie on the front cover so it must be good," Hannah held up a book with some guy on the front who was standing in a forest.

"Looks weird to me," I said as I picked out my own book. "Let's get these checked out. I've still got homework I have to finish for next period."

After the librarian checked out our books, we headed back into study hall.

"I think you would be a cute couple," Hannah whispered as we sat down in our assigned seats.

I glared at her, "I thought we'd dropped that subject.

Hannah studied me then said, "I think you like Ryan, but you just don't want to admit it because you've always hated him."

"I don't like him, Hannah. Drop it already."

And thankfully she did. She didn't talk about it the rest of the period. But she did bring it up again at lunch.

"Ooh, there's Ryan," Hannah pointed him out as he entered the cafeteria.

"That's nice," I said, not even sparing Ryan a glance.

"You know you like him. It's quite obvious," Hannah said casually.

"Why aren't you and Kyle dating yet?" I asked to change the subject from me to her.

Her face fell, "I don't know. I feel like we're ready to date, but I guess he still doesn't."

"He needs to ask you already," I said.

"Tell me about it," she rolled her eyes.

"Is this even edible?" I asked Hannah as I poked my lunch.

The school food was always disgusting. Not like the mystery meat and brown slop they have in schools on TV shows but rubbery, old food that I'm not sure is safe to consume.

The only thing that I could force myself to eat today was the oranges and even those were warm and dry.

"I'm not sure," Hannah frowned at her tray of "food".

"I'm not hungry anymore," I pushed my tray to the side.

"We should start packing lunches," Hannah suggested.

"That's probably a good idea actually," I nodded in agreement.

"Hey, Lexi. Hey, Hannah," Ryan said as he slid into the seat next to me.

"Hey there, Ryan," Hannah said to him but she looked at me with a smirk.

"Hey, Martin," I said, not looking at him.