Chapter 28

Chapter 28

My parents had returned to the hospital the next morning. Everyone stayed there the entire day Sunday, but we all had to leave Sunday night because of work and school.

I could barely focus during first period, and things only got worse second period. I immediately spotted Tyler sitting at his desk as I entered my second period class. I knew he was going to try to talk to me. I wasn't in the mood for him.

Tyler perked up when he saw me, "Lexi. I've been texting you for the past two days. I've been worried. Is Cameron okay? Are you okay? What happened?"

I sat in my desk and let out a deep breath, "Everything's fine."

Tyler knit his eyebrows together, "But what abo-"

I held up my hand to stop him, "Rather not talk about it."

Tyler looked really hurt, but he nodded and turned away from me.

I knew I was being rude, but I didn't have the energy or the patience to deal with him.

It was nice that he cared enough to try to call and all, but it wasn't enough. None of it was enough. He only tried to call a few times. Ryan had stayed with me at the hospital, by my side when I needed him, and giving me space when I needed it.

I know I hadn't really even give Tyler the choice to go, but I knew that if I would've told Ryan the same as Tyler, that I didn't want him to go, Ryan would've went anyway. Ryan was always there no matter what.

Tyler was a good friend, but I don't think I could see him as anything more. It wasn't like I'd known him for a long time anyway. I barely knew Tyler. But I'd known Ryan my entire life.

The teacher started talking and I pushed the boys from my mind. I had way more important things to think about other than boys.

Like thinking about my big brother who was still in a coma.

------------------

The second the bell rang, ending school for the day, I ran to the front doors to meet Ryan. He'd said he would take me to the hospital every day after school until Cameron woke up.

"Hey," Ryan said as I met him by the doors.

"Hi," I said weakly.

Ryan frowned, "You look tired."

I closed my eyes and nodded, "I'm exhausted."

"We're going to stop by your house before we go to the hospital," Ryan said as he pulled out of the school parking lot.

I crinkled my nose, "Um, why?"

"You're eating something then taking a nap," he explained.

"What? No. We need to go to the hospital. I'm fine," I insisted even though food and sleep did sound great.

He shook his head, "You're way too stressed and need rest."

"I'm fine. We need to go to the hospital, Ryan. Don't worry about me," I protested as he pulled into my driveway.

"Just a few hours here then we can go," Ryan said as he got out of the car.

He came around to my side and opened my door. I stayed where I was, crossing my arms defiantly.

"I'm not getting out," I told him.

He rolled his eyes, "Lexi, come on. Get out."

I shook my head. Ryan sighed then he reached in and unbuckled t seat belt.

"What're you doing?" I asked.

He ignored me then picked me up and carried me to the house bridal style.

"Ryan, put me down!" I ordered.

"Be quiet. Just let me take care of you, princess," Ryan gently set me on the couch.

I immediately sunk into the comfy cushions of the couch and couldn't make myself get up. Ryan returned a minute later with a cold, wet wash cloth. He placed it on my forehead then planted a light kiss on my cheek.

"Goodnight, Princess," he whispered.

I allowed my eyes to close then I snuggled into the couch and quickly drifted off to sleep.

------------------

I woke up to the sound of the TV. Ryan had fallen asleep to the History Channel. I looked to my right and saw him passed out on the other couch. I smiled and quietly walked over to him. I wanted to wake him up, but he looked so peaceful. I knelt down beside him.

His blonde hair was getting long. He needed a fresh cut. Some of his hair was hanging in front of his eyes. I pushed it to the side and caressed his cheek in my hand. I decided to gently wake him up. I pressed a soft kiss to his lips then rested my forehead on his. When I felt him start to wake up, I pulled away from him.

His ocean blue eyes fluttered open and landed on me. I smiled at him and he smiled back.

"Well, hello there, beautiful," Ryan said sweetly.

"Hi," I blushed.

He pulled my face to his and kissed me.

"Do you feel better?" he asked as he stood up.

"Yeah, I do," I nodded.

I did feel better actually. Getting some sleep really helped. I didn't feel so drained.

"Hungry?" he asked.

"Kind of, yeah."

"Well, let's go find something to eat," Ryan said as he took my hand in his and led me into the kitchen.

I glanced at the clock and saw we'd been asleep for almost two hours. We ended up just making a couple peanut butter and jelly sandwiches.

"Ready to go see Cameron?" Ryan asked after we'd finished eating.

I nodded, more ready than ever to see my brother.

------------------

When we entered Cameron's hospital room, there was a doctor and a nurse in there. They were messing with the machines and poking around on Cameron. I saw my parents on the opposite side of the too. They must've came straight here from work.

The doctor said something to the nurse then she exited the room. He motioned for me, Ryan, and my parents to gather around.

The doctor took a deep breath then said, "Honestly? It doesn't look good. I don't think he's going to last much longer."

A/N: AWHHH THIS IS ALL SO SAD. I KEEP CRYING WHILE I WRITE. What're y'all's thoughts on everything so far? What do y'all think is gonna happen next? Comment whatcha think!!! Love you guys to the moon and back! <3 Comment/vote/share!! (: