Chapter 31

Chapter 31

"We're going to have to take Cameron off of the machines if he doesn't wake up in a few days," the doctor told us gravely.

I'm pretty sure my heart had stopped. 

I jumped out of my chair, "No!"

The doctor and my parents looked surprised. I was too though. I hadn't meant to shout, but you can't really blame me with the news I'd just received.

Pity replaced the look of shock on the doctor's face.

He gave me a sad look, "I'm so sorry, Alexis.There's nothing more we can do, and he's not showing any sign of improvement."

"I don't care! You can't just kill him! What if he's going to get better in four days, but you take him off the machines in three? Then you just killed my big brother for no reason!" by the time I'd finished, I was shouting. 

The doctor looked at my parents desperately, silently asking them for help. 

My mom was too busy trying not to start bawling so my dad said, "Lexi, there's nothing any of us can do. We love him too, but we have to let him go."

His voice cracked on the last part.

"So that's it then? You're just going to let your son die. How can you two give us hope so quickly on your own son? I can't believe you!" I shouted before racing out of the room. 

I ran back to Cameron's room, tears streaming down my cheeks When I entered his room, I saw Hannah and Ryan talking. Kyle was sitting next to Hannah, holding to her hand, contently listening to the conversation. They all turned and looked at me worriedly. 

"Lexi, what's wrong?" Ryan asked as he rushed to my side.

I practically threw myself into his arms. He held me until I could stop crying. Kyle and Hannah stood close to our sides. 

They looked at me expectantly.

I took a deep breath then told them everything the doctor had said.

Hannah turned and cried into Kyle's chest. I did the same with Ryan. 

"What do we do? We can't let them do this to him," Hannah said, wiping away her tears. 

I closed my eyes and admitted what I knew was true, "There's nothing we can do, Hannah. There really isn't. We have to let him go."

I knew I was being a hypocrite, with just yelling at my dad for saying those same things, but I finally made myself believe those things, admit them to Hannah as well as myself.

There's nothing more we can do. I'm going to lose my brother.

-----------------------

I had been laying in my back yard on a blanket looking up at the night sky when my mom suddenly sat next to me. 

"Hey," I said quietly as I sat up.

We sat there in silence for a few minutes.

I was about to say something just to break the silence when my mom said, "Your dad and I were thinking that you could say the eulogy at Cameron's funeral since you were the closest person to him."

"What?" I whispered.

She gave me a soft smile, "Would you like to?"

I nodded without a second thought, "I would be honored to. Thank you, Mom."

She smiled, bigger this time, "You're welcome, sweetheart."

"I'm going to miss him, Mom. What're we going to do?" I asked, my voice cracking.

She took a deep breath and pulled me into a hug, "I don't know, Lexi. But I do know that somehow we'll get through this. Everything will be okay in the end. This is all for a reason. God knows what He's doing. We've got to trust Him."

Trust Him.....

A/N: Okay sorry, this chapter wasn't longer. I decided this needed to be a transition chapter instead. I'm gonna try to make the next chapter longer, but I've been winging it the entire time I've been writing this book so I don't know if that'll happen for sure or not. Comment your thoughts. Enjoy. Love y'all. (: