Two.

"Don't let a silly mistake ruin the beautiful thing called friendship. It's not worth it"

Samira

I sat on the bathroom floor and stared in stunned silence at the two lines. No. This cannot be happening. It can't possibly be true. Oh God, No. Please tell me I'm dreaming. But I knew it was true, because this was the second test I'd taken. 

I'd been feeling weak and drained for the past couple of weeks; feeling as though I had a whole heavy load on me. I also vomited three times this week, which was so unlike me. And it was the third time, I fearfully realised that I had missed my period. My heart sank. With a racing heart I went to the chemist to get a pregnancy kit and with trembling hands I did the test.

And here I am now. I am pregnant. I've been sitting here in the bathroom for over 30 minutes since I found out. I couldn't muster the energy to get up or do anything. I just wanted to cry and cry and cry.

A silent sob escaped my mouth for the umpteenth time. What would I do now? How could I even mention this to my parents? What are people going to say? What about school? All these questions raced through the back of my head and a tear escaped from my eyes and slid down my cheeks. I looked at the red lines again, willing for one of them to disappear and for someone to pop out and tell me that it was just a silly prank. But even as I thought this, I knew that would never happen. This wasn't a joke, it was reality. It was my reality. I needed to accept it and do something about it quickly.

I palmed away the tears on my cheeks and stood up. I'd have to pretend like nothing's happened, until I can figure out what to do.

"Mira? Jesus! Do you want to sleep in the toilet?" Ijeoma's voice on the other end of the door, startled me, and I jumped in shock.

The bathroom door budged for some seconds and then swung wide open. I totally forgot that the locks on door had gone kaput.

"You've been in there for nearly one hour, get out, I need to use the toilet." She walked inside. I turned around and swiftly tried to get rid of the kit I still had in my hands. But I wasn't quick enough.

"What's that?" Oma asked, motioning to the kit.

"Nothing," I said defensively, moving away from her.

She looked at me, her eyebrows raised. "Mira, come on, are you hiding something from me?"

"Ijeoma, I'm not hiding anything, alright? You can go ahead with your business now." I just wasn't in the mood for her grilling. I turned to leave the bathroom.

"I don't believe you," she said and pulled me back towards her. As she did, the kit fell to ground. I dived to pick it up, but Oma was already ahead of me.

"What is this?" she asked as she stared at it.

I looked at her, absolutely deflated. She's got me now. 3, 2 . . .

"No!" she exclaimed. I didn't even get to 1. Her eyes wide opened in shock as it dawned on her. "No. No. No, Samira, tell me this isn't yours. Please?"

"I wish I could," I said dolefully.

I walked out of the bathroom, into the sitting room and Oma walked along behind me. She certainly wasn't dropping this.

"Mira, how did this happen?" she demanded.

I couldn't speak. Tears stung the back of my eyes until it blurred my vision. I flopped on the sofa and Oma sat beside me.

"Come on, tell me, what happened? How? Where?" she persisted.

"It was at the party," I finally said. "It happened there."