Eighty-three

Daniel

Daniel was looking at the girl in front of him in shock. Samira. He was dumbstruck. He just stared at her, unable to even formulate words to make a sentence. Lots of thoughts were whizzing through his head, so fast, that he was actually feeling light-headed. 

How? How is this whole thing even possible, he thought? His life at that moment sounded like an episode of the Jeremy Kyle show.

When Daniel first got the text message, his heart stopped for a second. At first, he thought it was a joke. Someone must be pulling pranks on him. Trying to wind him up and get a reaction from him. But he read the message again and again, and he knew that it was no joke. This was some serious shit. He never told anyone about what happened that night at the party, not even his closest friends at the time.
So there was no way this Samira person would know, except she was there. Except she was the one.  It took days for him to think of a reply for the message. He needed time to recollect his thoughts.

But then, What if she was just calling his bluff? How was he to know that she was really pregnant? And had a son. And if so, how would he know it was for him?

So many questions. 

He had a flashback to that night, which seemed to him like aeons ago now. He could actually remember  what happened, despite his intoxicated state; how young, wild and free he'd been. A young guy who just wanted to have fun at all cost; his last bit of fun in the country before he traveled. And then he ended up with this girl who he didn't know, but didn't care because he was drunk. 

For a long time, he was filled with feelings of contrite. He felt guilty that he might have taken advantage of that girl in her vulnerable state. And it bothered him very much, but he didn't tell anyone. He didn't want people to judge him for his momentary lapse in judgement. And then when he left Nigeria, it made it easier to let go and move on with his life. That was when he began to reassure himself that he too was vulnerable that night and there was no reason to feel guilty about anything. He didn't force himself on her or do anything wrong anyway. They were just two drunk youngsters having a great time.   

The events of the night were in his memory ever since then, buried deep in his mind in the box where he kept things he didn't want to think about. However, from time to time, when that memory would escape, he always wondered what happened to 'the girl' and if they would ever cross paths ever again.

And now, here he was, face to face with her. Samira. The mother of his child. The child he never even knew he had. How would he have known that on that fateful night he . . . he planted a seed in her, and that she would carry his child. . .?

"I. . . I. . . uh. . . Oh my gosh. . .wow. . ." He stuttered. "I can't believe this. . .you. . ." 

"Yeah, I know. . .I'm just. . .I feel the same way." She spoke and he could tell she was just as nervous, from her shaky voice and that made Daniel feel a bit better. He was not the only one feeling anxious about this whole meeting.

"Who would have thought that. . .you. . .from the supermarket. . .you're Daniel," She continued, the astonishment in her face still visible. "I . . .just didn't think. . .I mean. . .you don't look like I remember from that night. I can't believe I didn't recognise you at first."

By now they'd both take a seat. "Well. . .I sure hope that's a good thing." Daniel chuckled.

"Of course! Yes. You look handsome. . .I mean you look great. . . Good. . .like in a good way." He could tell that she regretted that statement and if she was several shades lighter, he would have seen her blushed cheeks. 

"Thank you," Daniel said simply.

"What I'm trying to say is that you look different now, more matured, I guess." She continued. "And your hair . . ."