Twenty-nine

Ijeoma

"It's a boy!" The nurse announced. The three of us screamed and jumped for joy. "Mum and baby are both doing okay. Congratulations!"

"Thank you! Thank you so much!" Mrs Adenikan said in relief, nearly pulling the nurse into a hug.

The nurse smiled and nodded. "It's okay. She was a very brave woman."

Go best friend. That's my best friend.

"Can we go in and see her now?" Mrs Adenikan and I asked in unison. She was already poised, ready to move.

"Not now, I'm afraid. They're both being been cleaned up at the moment. I'll let you know when you can."

"Okay. Thank you very much."

"You're welcome." 

"Oh thank you Jesus." Mrs Adenikan exclaimed, as she did a little dance around, her hands up in the air. "I'm now a grandmother." 

"I'm now an aunt." Aisha added, grinning from ear to ear.

Of course, I had to add mine as well. "And I'm now a godmother." The three of us looked at each other and then burst into laughter. "Check us all out!"

I couldn't believe it. Hours ago, I was sprawled across on my bed watching a film when I got Mira's text saying she was in labour. Panic and excitement shot through me and immediately, I flew out from my bed and jumped on the next available cab to the hospital.

I was sat between Aisha and Mrs Adenikan in the hospital waiting area, looking apprehensive. Mrs Adenikan kept on jiggling her legs, her desperate eyes flicking through everyone who walked passed, pleading for answers. Aisha twisted her fingers nervously.
My heart was pounding  loudly in my chest, as I thought of my friend in the room.

I watched the Nurses and doctors traipse up and down the hallway, with purpose, resisting the urge to run up to them and confront them with my worries.

"How long have you guys been waiting?" I'd asked Aisha. Mrs Adenikan was stood up, pacing up and down. She was on the phone with Mr Adenikan.

"Nearly three hours now." Aisha replied.

Three hours? I was beginning to get sick with worry. I couldn't bear the thought of anything bad happening to my friend. But I had to think positive. So, I shook my head, dispersing those thoughts away.

She'll be fine, so will the baby.

And indeed, they both are fine. Words couldn't begin describe the joy, the elation, bursting through me. After the long wait, it had finally happened. After everything Mira's been through the last 9 months, look at where she was now.

Another smile played across my lips.

"Adenikans, you can come through to see her now."

***

I was the last one to go see Samira in the room. The policy was "only two visitors allowed at a time", so I waited while Aisha and her mum went in, and gave them some family time together.

Whilst I waited, I texted Buchi, informing him of the good news and he replied almost immediately saying he'll be leaving for Port-Harcourt first thing tomorrow morning.

When the two of them came out, they both were beaming.

"She can't wait to see you," Aisha whispered in my ears.

"Trust me, I can't wait to see them either."

I pushed open the door and walked in slowly. My friend was lying on the bed. She looked different to me. I've always looked at Samira like the little girl I've known since junior secondary school. But now, it seemed like she had completely morphed into a woman.
She looked exhausted though, like she'd just run a marathon. I guess going through labour was even worse than running a marathon. But the prize at the end, is definitely worth it.

"You look like shit," I said walking towards her, smiling.

"Thank you. Always as bad mouthed as ever." She smiled in return.

I came closer and placed my hands on hers. I saw her little one wrapped up in a blue blanket, cuddled in her arms, suckling on her breast.

"Wow! He's . . . he's beautiful!" I choked on the tears threatening fall down.

"Exactly what I thought when I first laid eyes on him."

"Congratulations Mimi. I'm so Happy right now, you can't even begin to imagine."

She gave me a look. "Oh really, try me. If there's a word that supercedes happy, that's exactly how I feel. Over the moon, thrilled, ecstatic."

"I'm sure you feel like that. And you know what? You deserve it Mira. After everything."

"Thank you Oma. But you know this wouldn't have happened if it weren't for you."

I shook my head slowly, wiping the stubborn tears that I couldn't hold back. And that was all it took, because the floodgates opened and Mira started crying too.

What babies we were.

"Isn't this weird that we grown women are the ones crying." Mira laughed despite the tears.

"It's allowed. He can't tell on us." I sniffed. "Can I hold him?"

"Yeah. Sure." She handed the little bundle of joy over to me. I gazed lovingly at the tiny, delicate human in my arms. His eyes were closed, and his head was a full mass of dark curls.

He's going to be one hairy baby, I thought to myself. Just like his father.

I couldn't believe how teeny tiny new humans were. It was just amazing. To think that I too, was once like this . . . mind blowing!

"He's so puny." I commented.

Mira scoffed. "Well it sure didn't feel like it when he was making his way out. It feels like I've just pushed out a bag of cement."

I smiled. "Jameel. My gorgeous godson." As soon as I said that, he stirred in my arms as if responding to his name. His tiny fingers curled around my pinky and he slowly opened his eyes, peering through what must have been a strange new world, different from the womb.
"Welcome to this world."

Even though he might turn out to grow up without a father, he definitely would not lack anything whatsoever, and he would have all the support a child could ever need. We'd all make sure of it.

"When are you allowed home?" I asked Mira.

"Tomorrow, I think. Everything went well, they said. I might just need a few more stitches​ tonight, that's it. Mum is coming back tonight to spend the night with me, so, she'll be the one taking me home .

I nodded. That would give Aisha and I some time to clear the house and give them a proper welcome. "Okay."

I kept her company for a little while more, until the nurse came in to politely say my visiting time was over.
"Mother and baby need to have some rest." She said and I couldn't agree more, Mira looked extremely petered out.

"I'll see you tomorrow Mira." I planted a kiss on her forehead. "Love you."

She nodded, already dozing off.