Twenty- four

A knock on my bedroom door.

Please go away. Leave me alone. I don't want to see or speak with anyone at the moment.

"Mira?" It was Maj. I didn't respond. My face was buried against my pillow.

I heard the door open slightly.

"Mira?" He called again. "Are you okay?"

Yes I'm absolutely fine, just closely admiring this lovely pillow and after that I'll have a really good nap like I haven't got a care in the world. That was the answer I had brewing in my head hadn't it been the kind of situation this was.

But I didn't respond.

I felt the mattress dip down om my side and his hands on my back.

"Mimi, sit up. Look at me."

I hesitantly, moved my head from the pillow. There was a wet patch on it from my tears. I looked up at him.

His eyes were on me, and I could see sympathy in them. I noticed again, that his hair cut had changed from the last time I saw him which was about 5 months ago. He looked really handsome, as always. My brother has always been a 'ladies' man'. Not that he slept around, but women always flocked around him. They swooned over him, because of his good looks. His well sculptured face, thick, full brows which sat above his big, brown eyes, prominent cheekbones, with a well defined nose. And to top it all, he was well muscular.
In fact, we used to all tease him, saying he didn't belong in the family, because he got his looks from neither of my parents, rather, my paternal uncle and grandfather.

All these perfection made up for his one flaw which was his height. But that never stopped ladies from buzzing all over him. They loved him anyway.

"Come on, sit up. Let's talk." He didn't look angry or like he was going to give me a big lecture on what a disappointment I was. Or on how I've failed this family.

I propped myself with my elbows and sat up, legs crossed.

He sighed. "Are you okay?"

I said nothing but looked down.

"How did it happen?" I still didn't respond.

"Why didn't you tell me?" His questions were met with silence.

"Come on, Mimi, speak to me. What happened?"

I gave a long sigh.

"I made a mistake." I started. "I was foolish. I wish I could go back and choose better." I admitted plaintively.

Maj nodded slowly. "Who is he?"

In that split second, I contemplated whether to tell him the whole story or not.

"His name is Daniel and he's abroad now studying for his Masters Degree. Once he's through, and comes back then we'll make it official."

The amount of times I've told this bullshit of a story, I can't even imagine - maybe if I said it well enough, I'd even believe it myself, and then it'll come to pass.
But it's better if Maj doesn't know, I thought to myself.

He seemed to give it a little thought. And after seconds of silence he said, "So, are you two are like together?"

I nodded weakly.

"And you trust him? He'll come back for marriage when he's done?"

I nodded again.

"You can vouch for him?"

"Yes. I can." No. I cant.

"Well, I guess it's not overly a terrible thing that's happened. At least you're certain that in at least two years time, you'll be married."