Forty-one

Daniel

Daniel stared at the email again. He just couldn't believe what he was seeing. He rubbed his eyes, just in case he was dreaming, because it felt like one. Tears had gathered in them already. What did he ever do to deserve this? It was just too much for him. He was overwhelmed.

There was one person he needed to tell first. He reached out for his phone and dialled the number. She'll be ecstatic. Of course she would. Who wouldn't be?

He decided to try WhatsApp call just because there was no extra cost for it. It rang and she picked up seconds later.

But the connection was awful. They both spent nearly two minutes, saying "hello" and "can you hear me" to each other, because of the poor network. When he saw, they were going nowhere with it, Daniel then resorted to phone call.

"Hello my boy." The reception was good this time. Daniel could hear her well. From her tone, he could tell she was in a good mood and he knew the news he was about to deliver would only make her day better.

"Mummy, good afternoon," he greeted. "I've got news." He wasted no time in going straight to the point.

Her interest piqued. "Really? What is it?"

"Guess."

She sighed. "Daniel I don't have time for guesses, just tell me please." Her excited voice sounded into the receiver.

"Okay," he gave a dramatic pause over the line. "I got a job, mum!" He finally exclaimed with excitement. "I got a job!"

His mum screamed over the phone for a good 30 seconds and Dan could not help but beam with pride. "Wow! My boy! I knew you would not disappoint me."

"Thank you mummy. And that's not all o," he added. "This company have also decided to sponsor my visa, the payment and everything."

She screamed again, this time at the top of her voice. Then she broke into a song of thanksgiving and praise.

Jehovah I thank you.
My miracle working God.

Daniel listened as she sang and prayed and sang some more.

"When Daniel?" She asked once she'd finished.

"I just saw the email, mummy." He told her. "I've been applying to different jobs for a while now, but they've been turning me down. But this one was just so unexpected."

She exclaimed again. "Yes o. God's time is the best. He had a plan all along. Now look at this one you got, is it not God?" Then she burst out singing again.

Daniel smiled and nodded over the phone. He thought so too. It was only God. The other jobs he applied to, refused him not because of his lack of expertise, but his residency status. It was frustrating for him. Even if they gave him the job, which they didn't, he was sure they wouldn't have paid the expenses for his visa, although he didn't mind doing that.

But this particular one, though a vigorous and tough interview processes, turned out to be the miracle he'd been waiting for. All expenses for 5 years visa paid for. With one condition, it was a five year contract.

But he didn't mind. Heck! even if it was a ten year contract, as long as he didn't have to go back to Nigeria.

"My God is good!" his mum continued. He heard her sigh long and hard over the phone. "I'm so proud of you Daniel and I'm sure your dad, wherever he is would be smiling down on you right now." He could hear her sniffle. She was crying. Daniel felt a rush of warmth all over, listening to his mum's words.

Nothing beats the praises of a parents. The words "I'm proud of you" coming from anyone, especially your parents are the best words you can ever hear.