Twenty- eight

The pain started from my lower back and seared upwards. It was sharp, as though someone had just jabbed me with a pencil.

I sat down as quickly as I stood up.

"Are you okay?" Aisha asked, looking concerned.

"Hm. Yeah I'm . . . fine."

I'm sure my facial expression gave me away, because my mum gave me a look, her eyebrows raised, as though she could tell what was happening. "I'm fine mum." I told her. "I just . . . I need to use the toilet."

She muttered something I didn't quite get.

I stood up and I felt it again. This time even worse. I winced and placed my hands on my tummy.

"Ouch! My . . ." I screeched. Before I'd even finished my sentence, my mum had sprang up on her feet and was already beside me. One quick look at me and she said in a frenzy, "I think you're in labour."

Labour?

Oh my! Is this it? The D-day?

"Come on. Let's go in and get ready. We're going to the hospital now." Even though my mum's voice was laced panic, there was something else too.

Excitement.

We all trotted inside to get everything ready. Aisha and my mum were running around like a headless chicken, trying to get this and that and do this and that.

My due date wasn't until the 15th of May, that meant if this truly was labour, then my little munchkin was almost two weeks early. So eager to come into this world. I rubbed my belly and smiled. The pain had subsided a little bit, but I could still feel the pressure.

I tossed some of my clothes in my black bag, which already contained some baby clothes and other necessities. I added my toothbrush and toothpaste, my phone and tablet and the chargers. I wasn't sure how long I was going to be in the hospital for.

I had to be prepared.

"How's the pain?" Mum asked, as she marched inside the room.

"It's still there, but it's lessened."

Aisha walked in seconds later. "Is it still hurting?"

I shook my head.

"Okay. Have you got everything you need?" My mum asked.

"Yes." I replied, unsure and looking around to see if there was anything else I'd forgotten.

"It's fine," mum said. "I can always come back to get whatever it is you've left. Hopefully you won't be there for long. Let's go." She herded us out the room.

Aisha picked up the bag and I followed her, mum walking behind us. We got downstairs and she grabbed her bunch of keys.

"Aisha please check that everything is turned off and the back door is locked."

She went to have a quick look. "Yeah."

We soon got in the car and drove off. I sat in the back seat with Aisha, who kept on glancing at me every 5 seconds. I could tell she was apprehensive. She'd never had this kind of experience before. Heck! I've never been in this position myself.

10 minutes into the journey and the pain intensified. I'd never felt anything like it before. Ever. I've always had really bad period cramps that left me clutching on to my tummy and rolling on the floor in agony. But this . . .? This was something different. It was a lot worse. Of course it was. Like someone was trying to claw their way out of my uterus.

Perfect analogy, uh?

I wriggled in the seat, turning and twisting, screaming and panting. Aisha took my hands on hers and I  squeezed it. My mum's gaze kept on flicking towards me through the rearview mirror.