Nine.

From afar, Daniel spotted his aunt waiting, her eyes darting back and forth in search of him. He increased his pace, as well as the smile on his lips. As soon as she saw him, she waved enthusiastically, practically jumping on her feet in excitement. He half ran, to meet her, pushing his trolley along.

"Aunty Uwa!" he exclaimed as he got to her, and dived straight into her open arms.

"D-boy!" she squealed with excitement. "My one and only D-boy!" Daniel thought they would both draw attention to themselves, seeming how loud they both were. But he didn't care. Isn't that what happens at airports when you reunite with your loved one? "Look at you, you're now a man. How are you? You've grown so much since the last time I saw you." she held him at arm's length, scrutinising him.

"Aunty I'm very fine, thank you." he grinned shyly.

The last time Daniel saw aunt Uwa was nearly 6 years ago. He'd travelled with his mum and Helen, a week after his final WAEC exams.

Looking at aunty Uwa now, Dan noticed she looked different. She looked like she had lost a lot of weight, which he knew most women would like to hear, but it wasn't in a good way. She looked really stressed.

"Oh I'm sure you are, you look it." She still couldn't take his eyes off him. 

"How about you aunty Uwa, how are you doing?" Daniel asked. They were walking towards the exit.

"I'm okay my dear. We're just managing here in this white man's country." She said and tried to take the trolley from Daniel.

"Aunty, no. Don't worry, I'll push it myself."

"Are you sure? I'm not that old o."

Daniel giggled and then said, "I'm sure aunty, I'll do it myself." They stepped into life.

"How was your trip? It wasn't so stressful, was it?" Aunty Uwa asked.

"No. It was fine. Very smooth, thank God." Daniel answered.

The door to the lift opened and they both got out.

The cold evening breeze outside hit him and he instantly shivered, even though he was wearing a hoodie. It was nearly the end of August, and he couldn't believe how chilly it was. Was it really this cold, or was it just him? He knew it was still summer, it was only August. So, it was supposed to be warm. The two times he'd been to the UK – both times in July – it was very hot, that it wasn't much different to Nigeria.

He suddenly realised that this was going to be his home for the next one year and he was going to have to put up with this cold. And worse, it was only going to get colder from now onwards.

Oh D-boy," aunty Uwa looked over to him again. "You look so much like your daddy – oh may his gentle soul rest in peace. And now, you're turning into a fine young man. I just wish he was here to see you." She smiled. A pained smile.

Daniel didn't say anything but just smiled in return. Aunty Uwa had a huge respect for Daniel's dad and whenever she talked about him, there was hurt in her eyes.They got to aunt Uwa's car and Dan loaded the boot with his suitcases. He was about to enter the car when he realised he was at the wrong side of the door.

Aunty Uwa chuckled. "I was wondering when you'll realise you're not in Nigeria anymore."

"Oh yeah, I have to start getting used to things around here." He made his way round back to the passenger seat.

Aunt Uwa got in, started the car, and drove out of the parking lot.

Even though Daniel had been to the UK twice before, it was like he'd just been for the very first time. He felt pumped, excited, giddy even. It was a new chapter of his life and he was ready. More than ready to write a good one. Although, there was still a little part of him that was nervous about living in a foreign country all on his own.