Thirty-nine

Samira

"Madam, you can now come out from your hiding place o." I heard Oma's voice coming from downstairs. I smiled, knowing that the pair of them had certainly worked things out.

I knew they would.

The look on Oma's face when she walked in earlier on and saw Buchi in the living room with me was deadly. If looks could kill, Buchi and I would have been goners. I could tell that her anger was more directed towards me than Buchi for the ruse I played on her.

I know I might have taken it too far by sending her that text. It was cruel, I admit, making her panic in that way. I've become the mum who cried wolf.
But I had no choice. That girl, as stubborn as she is, wouldn't have moved an inch if I didn't pull that trick on her.

It was the only way to bring her ass over, so she could reconcile with Buchi. She left me with no choice.

With Jameel on my shoulder, I climbed down the stairs. Oma was stood at the bottom of the stairs and Buchi was beside her. The grin on the both of their faces was next to none.

They definitely have reconciled.

"Everything okay?" I asked

"Yes," they answered in unison, looked at each other and then at me, still grinning. Oma walked up to me and took Jameel from my hands.

How wonderful. My two favourite people, back together, how awesome. I smiled.

"Hello gorgeous godson!" Oma cooed, playing with Jameel's cheeks. "Have you missed me? 'cos I have. Yes I have, yes I have." And so she carried on her conversation with him.

"Right, I've got to run now Mira." It was Buchi. He'd picked up his backpack and swung it on his shoulder.

"What?" I asked, shocked. "You're leaving already?" I glimpsed at Oma's and the look on her face told me that they've had the discussion and she was okay with it.

"I've got to get back to Lagos today, else I'll have to leave super early tomorrow morning, which I don't want to." Buchi continued.

I glanced at the wall clock. It was already gone past four 0' clock. "Isn't that better than this night journey you're about to embark on?"

He shook his head. "If I leave tonight, I'll have enough time to prepare for my project in the afternoon, rather than if I leave in the morning."

"Okay o," I nodded in understanding. "So, when are we going to see you again ?"

"Next week." he replied. 

"Great."

Then he approached me and pulled me into a hug. "Thank you for today." He whispered in my ears. "I really appreciate."

I hugged him even tighter. "You're welcome B. Anything for you."

He released me from the hug and walked up to Oma, and planted a kiss on Jameel's forehead. "See you soon big boy."

Oma and I exchanged looks. I got the message. I took Jameel from her arms.

"I'm going to escort him, I'll be back." she said.   

"Okay. See you soon." And then, "Safe trip Buchi," I called out, as they stepped out the door. "Let us know when you arrive, okay?"

"Yeah, I will do. Bye." I stood at the door, watching and waving them as they walked out the main gate.

Oma would be back soon and she'll fill me in on their discussion, I thought, but not after telling me off though. I knew she'll still be mad at me too for the trick I played, but she'll forgive me. Of course she would.