Fifty-eight

I couldn't contain myself anymore. The thrill of the fact that I was going on a date was making my head spin. The excitement was real. It's happening.
Every now and again, I would give a little screech of excitement and a little dance, when no one was around, obviously.

Even my mum started giving me side glances, I noticed. I guess she was wondering why I was always buzzing. Although she didn't question me, I could see that she was curious. I think she probably just put it to the fact that I had a really good day at work.
And I was glad she didn't ask me about it, because I wasn't sure I would have been able to lie to her about it, and I sure didn't want to tell her about Kenny. At least just not yet.

I texted Oma, just after Kenny had confirmed the time for our date. And as I expected, she called me almost immediately. Her scream was so loud that I had to take the phone away from my ears before she perforated my ear-drum.  I could not only hear but almost feel the excitement in her voice as she shrieked and told me how so pleased she was. I imagined her jumping up and down like a little child, running from one end of the room to another, cheering. 

Finally things were beginning to fall into place for me.

"Finally," She'd said to me over the phone. "Finally, you're getting what you deserve Mira. It's been a long time coming. "

Her statement made me tear up a little, as I realised for the umpteenth time how true it was. It was finally my time to shine. It was finally my time to enjoy.

For a long while after I had Jameel, I automatically discarded the thought of anyone ever wanting anything to do with me romantically. I felt like my chances of getting into a relationship were so slim, that it was nearly impossible. No man would want to go for a mother when there are other girls out there.
No one would want your baggage, the Voice in my head would remind me.

After I came to that conclusion, I finally accepted it. And I was fine with it

"So, tell me all about this bobo?" Oma asked from the other end. "How is he like? Is he handsome? Tall? The guy hol' pepper? Have you introduced him to your people?" She didn't even give me time to answer the questions and she kept bombarding me, one after the other. 

"Nah uh! I'm not telling you anything. You have to come here on Saturday and help me get ready then I'll tell you all you need to know."

She whined. "Oh come on! Why na? This girl, you're wicked o. How can you keep me in suspense till Saturday?"

"Before nko. If that's the only way I'll lure you here to come and help me, then yes, call me wicked." I chuckled. 

She hissed loudly. "I'll pay you back, don't you worry."

"Wetin you fit do?"

"We shall see. Anyway, sha, I will definitely be there on Saturday. I cannot miss it for the world. My girl is going on a date! My girl is going on a date!!! My girl is going on a daaaattteee!!!" She had added some rhythm and turned it into a song.
I was smiling so hard that my cheeks were hurting.

She reminded me again of how proud of me she was and how she was so excited that things were finally going well for me, and how she couldn't wait to hear all about the details.

***

I told my mum when she came back from work on Friday evening. No. Not about Kenny. 

I told her I needed her to look after Jam for the day because I had an event. Of course, she probed even further. She would want to know everything.

"What event is that?" She looked at me curiously over the bridge of her glasses.

It was fine, I had my story all planned out in the way I know she would buy it.