Fifty-six

It was Kenny.

I stared in surprise as he sauntered casually to me, his lips contorted into a smile.

What on earth was he doing here? How did he know I'll be walking down this road at this time? Was he following me, or was this just a coincidence?
And if it was just a coincidence, what were the odds that he'd be driving by at the same time I'll be walking down the road. Except, of course, it was destined to be. Except, it was fate. It was for a reason.

An array of hope flickered inside of me and I smiled inwardly. Maybe this is it. Maybe he's The One.
But almost immediately, I chided myself for thinking way ahead. I didn't even know what his intentions were, so it would be stupid if I assumed. I'd just let things play out the way they want to and not act "too available."

"What are you doing here? Were you following me?" I demanded just as he came close to me.

"Nice to meet you too Samira," he said calmly, the smile never leaving his face.

I sighed. That was a bit rude. "I. . . I'm sorry," I said remorsefully. "I was just surprised to see you here."

"It's alright." He ran his hands through his beard. "I accept your apology, but only on one condition."

I raised an eyebrow. "And what's that?"

He gave me a lopsided grin, then casually said, "Come on I'll tell you in the car."

"What?" I gave him a look, my arms folded. There was no way I was just going to follow him in his car like a zombie. "Why would I want to go in your car? You're a stranger to me."

He chuckled slightly. "Well . . . I know I'm a stranger to you, but hopefully, that wouldn't be for long.

"You think?" I asked with raised eyebrows.

He shrugged. "That would be all up to you though."

"Hmm. But that doesn't answer the question of why I should get in your car."

"Okay. One," He raised up his index finger, "so I can tell you my condition to accept your apology and two," he gazed up to the sky, which was now completely covered in black clouds floating fastly across. "I know you don't want to be stuck out here when this rain starts."

I stared at him. Of course, he had a point. In as much as I didn't want to just jump in this stranger's car, I had no choice. It seemed like I would be drenched out here before I managed to find a taxi.

"Or do you?" There was a smirk on his face.

I shook my head. "Of course not." I could already feel little droplets of rain on my skin. It was only a matter of minutes now.

"Come on then," he beckoned. "Let's go. I'll give you a lift home so you don't have to be stuck in this rain."

There were some seconds of silence and then I said, "okay." I shuffled my handbag further up my shoulder and smiled at him. He'd definitely won me over. We walked a few steps to where he'd stopped his car.

Look at you! As if you had any choice before. . . I thought to myself and nearly giggled.

I was about to reach out to open the car door when he said, "Oh no, let me." He pulled the handle and opened the door for me. Once I had gotten in, he shut it gently and went around to get in.

Such a gentleman. He sure does know how to earn himself some brownie points.

The car interior was immaculate. It was in such a good shape. Looked like a brand new car. There wasn't a single spot or scratch on the black, matte leather seat. I inhaled deeply and the scent of the lemon air freshener hit my lungs.