Thirty

Daniel

Daniel wondered who the lady at 2' 0 clock was. He'd been observing her from a distance for a while now and it seemed like she was there alone. At least he hadn't seen her talk to anyone so far. She held a glass of drink on one hand and was scrolling through her phone on the other. She looked bored from what he observed, like she'd prefer to be somewhere else.

He was about to walk up to introduce himself, when a young man strolled up behind her and slid his arms around her waist. The lady turned swiftly around and her demeanour changed immediately. Daniel saw from where he stood, that she suddenly became tensed, then angry. He watched the both of them in what seemed to be a heated conversation. Her annoyance was evident in her hand gestures and the furrowing of her brows. Daniel wanted more than anything to listen to this argument, but he couldn't, because of his distance and the raucous sound of the music playing. The young man looked like he was trying to explain whatever it was to her and she was shaking her head furiously. He then tried to reach out to touch her but she backed away.  And when he tried again, she stormed off.

Daniel thought he was going to have to play detective for this one. What is going on with her? Was that her boyfriend? Did he just witness a break up or something like that? Or was that just some random guy trying to hit on her?

He went after her, shuffling his way across the sea of people, his eyes never leaving the mystery girl. Maybe alongside detective, he could also play the Prince Charming, who rescues the Damsel in distress. He chuckled slightly at the thought of that.

She walked into the ladies room and Daniel stopped, knowing he could go no further. He waited in the corner. Minutes later, she came out, and as Daniel expected, she headed towards the exit. He followed her.

"Uhm . . . Hello." Daniel mustered up the courage to speak. There was no response from her. She just carried on marching on. Maybe she didn't hear him.

He cleared his throat "Hi there."

Her pace slowed down. She turned around. "What?" Her tone was very harsh and her eyes were red from crying.

"I . . . I. . . " Daniel stammered.

"Spit it out! What do you want?"

"I saw what happened with the dude inside." Daniel said softly.

"And . . ." Her brows furrowed and she looked at Daniel up and down. "Do I know you?"

"No, no you don't, but I . . ."

"Well then why am I talking to you? Bye." she started to walk away.

"Wait." Daniel caught up with her. "I'm just a concerned stranger, that's all." He gave a smile to try to make her relax. "You can tell me about what happened inside. If you don't mind sharing, that is. You know what they say, a problem shared is a problem half solved," Daniel was trying to make light of the situation, but he knew he was failing miserably.

"You know what, this girl doesn't want to share her problems with a stranger. Just leave me alone." she stated Sternly and started to walk away.

"Oh come on . . . " Daniel reached out to touch her.

"What the fuck is wrong with you? Don't you get it? I said leave me the fuck alone." she yelled and caught the attention of the few people standing by.

Daniel flinched. He backed away. He was just trying to help and definitely didn't want people to think otherwise. "Sorry. I'm  . . . sorry. I was just trying to help."

"What makes you think I need your help? I don't even know you." As she spoke her arms were all over the place. She must have a thing for hand gestures when pissed off. "You can't come here and act as prince charming saving me from distress."

Oops! Just what Daniel was hoping could happen.

"Go away!!!" Tears were streaming down her face as spoke. She walked away angrily and Daniel stood there, watching her as she hopped into a cab and drove off.

Wow. That was something, he thought to himself as he walked back inside.

Daniel didn't know the host of this party. But his friend, Victor did. So maybe, just maybe, Victor would have an inkling whom this girl was. He could try and sneakily get her contact off him. Although, Dan thought, she might not entirely be pleased with that. But he had to try anyway. There was something about her Daniel seemed to be drawn to. Tonight was his first encounter with her, and he hoped it wouldn't be his last.

"Hey Danny," Victor's voice caught Daniel's attention. He was outside with a couple of other lads smoking. "What's up? You alright?"

"Yeah." Daniel replied, running his hand through his hair. "I am. Just came out for some fresh air."

Victor nodded. "Want one?" He stretched a packet of cigarettes towards Daniel.

It wasn't his first time. Daniel had tried it more than a couple of times before now, courtesy of Victor, and then decided never to try again before he got addicted. But after what just happened, he didn't mind giving it one last puff. Maybe it could help him clear his mind. He reached out, put one stick between his lips and lit it up.

***

It's been nearly a year since Daniel came to the UK. His degree was nearly over, which meant that the time for him to return to Nigeria was fast approaching. Truthfully, he really didn't want to go back. He was dreading it. He'd gotten so used to living in the UK; to the way of life. He'd made new friends, met some really lovely people that he felt unhappy leaving.

One of two things happen when you leave Nigeria for places like the UK; you either despise it so much that you want to go back home, or you completely fall in love with everything about the new environment and cannot see yourself ever living Nigeria again. Daniel fell under the latter category.

One thing he hadn't mentioned to his mum so far was that he'd been applying to jobs in the UK.

The initial plan between the two of them was, once his one year of study was over, he'd come back to Nigeria. But now, Daniel didn't want to go back. He'd had to change the plan without his mum's knowledge. Living in the UK had opened his eyes to so many opportunities. He wasn't going back to Nigeria. Period. His mum would just have to understand. She'd have to learn how to live on without her son always by her side. What was he going back for, anyway? He had no commitments back there. Nothing to tie him down.

He applied to so many jobs, but was turned down based on his residency status. Apparently, no firm wants to stick their necks out and invest that huge lump of cash in him, for a visa. That left him gutted. It made him sleepless with worry.

But no matter what, he kept on telling himself, he had to find a way to elongate his stay in the UK. He vowed to keep on applying. To cast his net wide. It didn't matter where in the UK. As long as it wasn't Nigeria. It  was fine by him.

A miracle had to happen.