Chapter 47

I showed up to rehearsal at 2:58 in the same clothes I had been wearing all day. My face felt hot and clammy and all I wanted to do was crawl into my big bed at home and sleep for days. I walked into the venue to see everyone waiting for me.

 Mark gave me a look as I came to stand beside him. The guys were on stage messing around with their guitars and laughing like they didn't have a care in the world.

Ryan saw me and gave me a small, sad smile. He must know about the contract. I couldn't muster up enough energy to smile back at him, I just looked down at the floor. Mark put his hand on my shoulder to try and make a small gesture to comfort me. I hadn't told him about my father.

I wasn't going to tell anyone.

I glanced at Ryan who was busy staring down at his phone. A small smile crept up on those lips of his. I wondered how it was going with that guy he was talking to. 

Glancing around at everyone around me I realized that I was the only one who knew his secret. A secret that hides his true self. He saw me staring at him and slapped me gently on the cheek. He leaned forward and whispered. "You're prettier than her anyway.". He motioned toward the other end of the stage where Nina was standing with Alex, his arm wrapped tightly around her tiny body.

For a moment I felt like I was going to throw up. 

I looked away but that twisting feeling stayed in my gut. Ryan put his hand gently on mine as if he knew exactly what I was feeling. I stole another glance before I could stop myself. He must have said something funny, because at that moment she laughed, putting her well manicured hand on Alex's chest directly above his heart. I could feel mine ripping out.

I stood, preparing to get the rehearsal over with. The movement must have caught his attention because his gaze caught on mine. His face sunk for a minute like he was guilty of something. Like he forgot about everything he had just said to me. I couldn't help but think that at some point, he had said the same exact thing to her.

"Okay." I breathed into the mic. "Let's get this over with."