~Chapter 20~

"You can sleep on the bed. I'm going to sleep on the floor or the chair. Depends on what's more comfortable", he said when we entered his room.
"You'll sleep on the bed"
"I don't want you to feel constrained or anything. I don't want you to think bad about me.", Max said.
"I'm not going to think bad about you. I know that you will not hurt me"
"Why do you trust me so much?", he asked nervily and leaned against the wall. I sat down on his bed and looked at him. Those questions that he was always asking were driving me crazy.
"I don't know. I just do", I answered and looked away before I'll turn red.
Abruptly he turned around and walked to the closet. "Should I give you something to sleep in? A shirt or something like that?", he asked uncertainly and rummaged around in his clothes. Wasn't it a bit too early to wear his clothes?
"No, I'm fine. I'll sleep in my clothes", I said and looked down on me. I was wearing a tank top and jeans, that I've pulled on before I left my room. That was one of those really intelligent moments of mine. For 20 minutes, in the middle of the night where nobody would see me anyway, I could easily wear my pyjama pants or leggings. Well, it was my own fault.
"Isn't it uncomfortable in those jeans?", he asked.
"No, they are actually pretty comfy and soft", I lied quite obvious.
"If you say so", he said amused.
"On which side do you want to sleep?"
"I don't care. It's your bed", he sighed annoyed and looked at me with the same unamused look.
"Usually I sleep somewhere in the middle so you can lay down where you want.", he said and made a disparaging gesture at the bed.
I stood up and sat on the right side of the bed. Max was still standing at the closet. He took off his shirt and then his pants. I was more than surprised when I saw all of his tattoos. And his thoroughly fit body.
But he wasn't tattooed everywhere. Only his arms and his chest were completely covered and 3 were on his stomach.
All motives had their space from each other but somehow they all kind of belong together. One of them which was on his scapula caught my eye immediately.
I'm a legend was written with black ink on his skin. I didn't know what I should think about it. Was he considering himself as a legend? Or was it something with a deep meaning behind it?
Maxim plugged his phone in the charger and turned the lights off before he crawled into his bed.
"Does this tattoo has a meaning, too?", I asked him without even thinking about it.
"Which one?", he said and sat up. He looked at his tattoos.
" 'I'm a legend' ", I said, "you don't have to tell me it. I was just curious.", I added quick so he wouldn't feel pressed.
"It stands for my best friend. He was always saying that: 'Someday I will be a legend. Everyone will know my name and then I can say that I'm a legend'. About half a year ago he was shot" Oh my god. This came unexpectedly. I was shocked.
"Why?", was the only thing I could bring out. I had a lump in my throat.
"There was a gang. All of them were junkies and criminals, Dan's cousin was their dealer. Dan himself had never to do anything with drugs. He went to school and wanted to become a doctor. He had a goal that he wanted to achieve and he would never do something criminal. Then Dan's cousin and the gang had a fight because of something, I still don't know what it was, and the dealer disappeared. And then someday when Dan and I came from school a car drove up to us. It was everything like in a movie. Anyhow, out of the driving car they shot him, three times right in the chest. I was standing right next to him and I saw everything with my own eyes. He died right there."

I was sitting there speechless and shook. My tears were rolling down my cheeks unstoppable. Maxim was telling it in a monotonic tone but I knew that he was hiding his feelings.
"Were they penalized?", I asked carefully.
"There were some court sessions and it took centuries to prove that those bastards shot him. Now they are in jail. They had to pay his parents pecuniary reparation, but it will not bring him back anyway", his voice was just a whisper meanwhile. I looked at him and through the faint light, I saw a little tear rolling down his cheek.
"Wow. My life is pretty fucked up, isn't it", he said and laughed. In this laugh were so much despair, sadness and mostly pain that it broke my heart into million pieces.
"Maxim, I'm so so sorry", I whispered. I wished I could hug him but I didn't want to offend him.
"Me too", he said silently and turned away from me. He laid down and covered himself with the blanket. I did the same.
"I'm sorry that I asked you about it", I apologized.
"Don't have to. Everything's fine. Goodnight Veronica"
"Goodnight", I whispered and closed my eyes.

I really hope you like it xx