~Chapter 42~

"You+Me+2 bottles wine = great evening. What do you think sweetheart? He asked slimy.
And there he was. The one who could make any Greek god look bad next to him.
"Wrong calculation, buddy", Maxim answered and placed his hand on Nevels shoulder who was numbed. I couldn't suppress my laughter.
"You again", Matthew rolled with his eyes when he said it.
"Me again", Max said and put a giant smirk on his face, "I would leave if I would be you. Now"
"Oh well you ain't me"
"Thank god", Max sighed relieved and put his hand on his chest, "I'm delighted that I'm able to be me and not such a pathetic piece of shit like you", he said it with a derogatory tone in his voice.
"What did you just say?", Nevel asked indignant and angry, "Repeat it!", planted himself in front of Max threateningly. What was looking really hilarious because Maxim was still taller and twice as big. And Max was just standing still.
"You heard me. Do me a favour and-"
"Please go away, Matthew", I interrupted Max. My voice was solid and serious.
"Do what she said"
Matthew looked at me and Max furious and went to his seat.
Max walked past me and let himself fall on his chair next to me.
"I left you for barely two minutes and there are already idiots throwing themselves at you"
"Those were definitely more than two minutes", I corrected him, "What, are you jealous?", I asked amused.
"There's no reason to be jealous", he crossed his arms in front of his chest and leaned back, "not because of him"
"Oh, and why not cause of him?"
"Cause he can't compete with me"
"Why are you so sure about it?" I raised one brow and waited for a valid argument.
"Because you have definitely a better taste than that", he said cockily like he was and dart a derogatory glance at Nevel, who was sitting on his chair and crumbling up a piece of paper.
I shook with my head and laughed. Our teacher came and started the lesson.

Friday evening. My dad was on a business trip in the UK for the next week. Jacob was lying sick in his bed was probably puking his guts out. That meant for me that I had to spend the next time alone.
I mean it wasn't that tragic, to be honest, but the fact that Maxim disappeared again all of sudden, made me almost lose my mind. I hoped so much that it had its end that he would disappear again without saying a word especially after we got closer again.
Since yesterday evening he hadn't answered my messages. No, I haven't bombarded him with messages. It was just one text yesterday and one this morning. No more. Fine one call too but that's it. He hasn't answered any of them.
I was angry and imagined any possible things that he could do now and with who he could be. Especially the second thoughts gave me a headache. But at the same time I was worried, maybe something had happened and he couldn't answer me because he was at the intensive care unit. Oh my god, what if he was dead? Oh, common shut up and stop being so paranoid you idiot!
Quickly I changed my thoughts and started to focus on the TV screen, which was standing in my living room. I zapped through the channels and got stuck at a talk show. I had no idea what the hell was going on but it was the best thing that was on right now. I tried to follow the course while stuffing salted popcorn into me.

15 minutes later I knew more.
Girl 1 has a child from the boy but boy denied it and is together with girl 2, is also there. Mother of boy and mother of girl 1 want a paternity test. They are screaming and arguing with each other, the father of girl 1 entered the studio. Girl 2 is apparently pregnant too. Draaamaa.
Exactly when the paternity test result was about to get revealed, someone knocked at the door. I looked at the clock. 10:36 PM. Who the hell is that?
It knocked again and at the same time, the bell rang. Continuous.
I sighed annoyed, put the popcorn bowl on the couch table and went to the door. I turned the light on and opened the door. 
My heart stopped. Some seconds later my body overflowed with relief. He was standing in front of me. His arm was at the bell and his head was leaned against the wall. Even after I opened the door he continued to ring the bell. Non-stop.
"Maxim", I said relieved and surprised. He was here. Alive.
"Oh, you already opened the door", he slurred smiling and let his arm, which was on the bell before, fall.
"Are you drunk?", I asked him even though my question got answered by his smell of alcohol.
"I've drunk only a little", he pressed his forefinger on his thumb to demonstrate me how little it was. He squinted at his fingers and lost his balance shortly. Before he could fell I caught him at his arm. Was he wearing his shirt the wrong way?
"Oops", he laughed.
"Let's go inside before you will do something stupid here", I said and pulled him inside the house. This is gonna be fun. I closed the door and sighed.
I held his arm and sat him on the couch in the living-room. He toddled to the side and let his head fall down on the back of the couch.
"What happened? Why have you drunk so much?", I asked him and turned off. the TV. He kept laying like that and was mumbled something to himself.
"Today's the 16th March" That didn't answer my question. But I didn't say anything and waited for him to explain it. As good as he could in his condition.
"Today six years ago was the car crash.", he said and that explained a lot.
"I'm so sorry, Maxim", I said carefully.
"Six fucking years an' I'm still here in this fucking world. I shoulda been in their position."
"Don't say that", I placed my hand on his arm, "don't say that, Maxim", I repeated, "it happened. You can't make it undone. Nobody can. It had its reason why it has happened. And something out there didn't want you to be gone so early. It wasn't your time then and your time will not come for a long time, Max. Believe me.", it sounded probably like something everyone would say in this situation but I still said it and tried to calm him with that.
"But why? Why so early? What was the reason? Was it wrong that they built a great life for themselves? That they were healthy and happy? That they were donating their blood and money for some charity projects? Was that all wrong that they had to die at 30?! They were only 30 for god fucking sake. They were only 30...", his voice cracked and got drowned by a deep sob. He put his face in his hands and starts crying out loud.
I've never seen him like that. So broken, desperate. So hurt. Suddenly he seemed so little and young. From the strong man was nothing left. At this moment I didn't know what to do or what to say, how I could help him. And it broke my heart.
I decided not to say anything and keep my mouth shut for some minutes. Carefully I put my hand on his shoulder and then on his face. It was wet because of the tears that were rolling down his cheeks unstoppable. I was stroking over his cheek up and down with my thumb.
He wasn't showing any reaction, that's why I took my hand away and stood up.
Maybe it would help him if he would let him alone now.