Reaching Mirkwood

Thranduil sat upon his throne, looking through his halls, but his gaze did not meet anything, nor did it hold any emotion. It had been a long time since he had seen his son, Legolas. The last time he had seen him, Legolas had left to never return. Thranduil was not sure if Legolas had forgiven him for his faults. Faults? Misdeeds? Thranduil was still not sure if he would ever openly admit to his son or anyone else upon the whole of Arda, or even merely accept the fact that he, the King, would be capable of committing any mistakes. He was strong, proud, the protector of his people through many wars and perils. Wars, which he wished he had never had to fight. Many elves were lost in the great battles of Middle-Earth. Too much blood had been spilled. But had it been worth it?

Lord Elrond and Lady Galadriel had said that beauty was returning to Middle-Earth and that peaceful times lay at their doorstep at last. But could he really be at peace with the dwarves? Dain had ruled under the mountain and after him, his son Dunir. Bilbo, the hobbit, had eagerly returned to Thranduil the jewels of pure starlight, the gems of Lasgalen. But the dwarves would not have returned them freely. No, they would have still deprived him of those jewels, stubbornly blinded by their shameless greed! Thranduil's brows furrowed at the thought of the Battle of the Five Armies.

Mithrandir had been right, he was left with no other option but to join the battle, even if he did not wish for that. The wizard's words had made sense at that moment. Thranduil had given the command and once again the elves had gone to war. A war for a land which they also called their home, even if it was just a temporary one as elves would eventually return to Valinor one day. Either by ships, or through Mandos' Halls. But not as long as the Elvenking was among them, for he was determined never to abandon his realm.

Thranduil admitted that Lord Elrond's and Lady Galadriel's words were true. This peace was hard won and now that peaceful times were at hand, he agreed that he too did not want to leave this land behind, the land for which they had fought and bled for thousands of years. Which answer would he dare to offer those who had given their lives for the defense of their homeland, when they found out that their king had abandoned it when peace had finally returned? No. The soil of Middle-Earth would continue to carry the elves for an uncertain amount of time. He was the representative of a race to which no one else in Middle-Earth equaled. How could he leave now?

*****

They approached Mirkwood, now recovering from the heavy darkness which had been once and for all dispelled by the Lady Galadriel. Today the forest was still dark in certain areas, however. Marten wished to use the old forest road, well knowing that the passage was watched over and travelers were protected by the elves. He halted his horse and called out, "Hello? Is someone there?"

After a short while, four elves approached them to hear their request. There were rules if one wished to travel through the forest, using the old forest road. Humans were permitted nowadays, yet dwarves were not. A fee had to be paid, which they gladly did. The company knew that for the next few days they would travel at ease, knowing that the elves would be watching over the road and its surroundings.

The road was one of the safest in Middle-Earth and its reputation preceded it. Ari was bearing some gold and jewels on her, which she had found on the shores of the southern sea, but hid them, paying her share with old silver coins instead. After a brief delay, they were allowed to continue their journey.

Throughout the afternoon, they passed by a few watchtowers. Elf guards protected the forest road and kept a watchful eye on them. At dusk they camped near a watchtower to spend their first night in Mirkwood. Ari couldn't find rest. She lay near her horse and stared into the darkness of the night. Aro had a habit of lying down at night, something that Ari appreciated greatly. She always felt safe when she was near him. His closeness made her feel better, but tonight there was a growing uneasiness in her heart.

On the next morning they continued their journey through the woods and the day passed uneventful. Ari had noticed Arlos' looks in her direction all day long, but tried to ignore them and himself to the best of her ability. As they made camp for the second night, Arlos walked up to her. He tried his best to engage her in a conversation, but Ari kept yawning on purpose, telling him after only a few minutes had passed, that she had to lie down and rest. But sleep did not come to her. She contemplated the rare beauty of the forest and what might happen, once they reached the city of Dale.

There were tall trees in Mirkwood, larger than any other trees Ari had ever seen. Long creepers were hanging down from the branches, making their way down from the forest roof or climbing upwards, towards the crowns of the trees. Some of them bore gorgeous small flowers in red or white colour. There were wild flowers wherever one laid eyes on. Small creeks were streaming here and there through the forest, sometimes crossing each other, sometimes coursing through stone formations, then flowing down into smaller or larger pools. The sun rays floated through the dense tree tops. Ari had seen small caves not far from the path and had felt tempted to explore them. But there was no time. She was heading for Dale. Ari was mesmerized by the beauty of nature that surrounded her. Spring looked heavenly in this forest.

She wondered how summer would look like once it spread all over Mirkwood. The scent of the forest engulfing their presence reminded her of the refreshing breath of a gentle summer rain. The smell of unfamiliar flowers caught her attention. Ari opened her eyes and recollected the dream she had not long ago, while they were traveling near the elven forest. She recognized the small flowers here in the woods. They were the same flowers she had seen in her dream. Ari felt curious to know if they were special elven flowers and sat up, wondering if she should venture into the forest and investigate the origin of the heavenly scent. As her eye caught an elven guard watching them, she changed her mind and lay down again. She peacefully watched the stars through the canopy of trees, the gentle sound of a small creek nearby caressing her ears. To Ari it seemed as if it sang a soft lullaby not only to her, but to the entire forest. She soon fell into a dreamless slumber.