Auspicious News

As they entered their chambers, Thranduil stopped abruptly. Beside his desk stood the most beautiful chair he had ever seen. He looked at his wife in astonishment. Ari reached for his arm and almost towed him, urging him to sit on the chair. Thranduil did so, deeply impressed by the beauty and the comfort of the chair. He looked up at his wife before he pulled her onto his lap, claiming her lips in a passionate kiss that left her breathless. When he broke their kiss, his eyes wandered over her face for a few silent moments.

"I recognize that this is your work, my love. I am deeply touched by your effort to please me. This chair is too beautiful to sit on."

Ari smiled at him lovingly. "I had always wished to repay you for your hospitality. That's why I made it. Fearing you might reject this gift otherwise, I decided to give it to you on our wedding day - as a gift," she added. "I am glad that you have accepted it."

Thranduil cupped her face in his hands. "My beloved wife... my queen," he whispered, "I could never reject a gift of yours, especially when it was made with love and devotion by your own hands. When did you find time to do this?" he asked, reaching for her hands to caress them.

"I have more than enough time since my husband does not have enough time for me during the day," she explained pouting. "His royal duties seem to consume most of his precious time, therefore leaving his wife bereft of his pleasant presence."

"Pleasant?" he asked with an air of fake disbelief.

"Yes, very pleasant," she breathed.

"I am sorry," Thranduil said between kisses.

"Apology accepted," she murmured against his lips.

Ari smiled and tried to get up, but Thranduil held her back. "I also have a small gift for you. It is not comparable to yours, though."

He got up, set her on her feet and walked over to his wardrobe. Thranduil stepped in and when he came back into the chamber, he was holding something behind his back. "When I met you in Dale, you had just injured your hand while working on a stool. The next day I visited you again, when you had finished working on it. I wondered about your words that day. You had said, 'May the stool last their kisses'. When I finally figured out what those words meant, I thought this might be a suitable present for our wedding."

Thranduil lowered his head and suddenly seemed uncertain but Ari smiled.

"My wedding gift is a stool?"

He nodded without looking into her face. Thranduil felt ashamed for her gift was a very personal gift, crafted by her own hands. His gift, on the other side, had been made by one of his carpenters. Even though he had liked his idea in the beginning, he was in doubt now. Ari walked up to him and reached behind him, grabbing the stool. She placed it on the floor and climbed on it. This was the first time that their eyes were on the same level while they were both standing. She wrapped her arms around his neck and kissed him with passion. He could not help but kiss her back with the same yearning.

When Ari managed to free her lips from his, she grinned. "I have given you a gift on which you can sit. But you have given me something much more precious. It assists me to be closer to you. May it last our kisses."

He took her by the hand and led her straight into the bathroom. A bath had been prepared by Hurwen and Thranduil began to carefully undress his tired wife. He lowered her into the warm water before he began to undress himself. Ari lay back and closed her eyes. She breathed in the calming scent of the fragrant water and the floating flowers and within moments her body felt light and relaxed.
When Thranduil joined her, he settled behind her and she leaned comfortably against his strong body. He held her close and both of them simply enjoyed the closeness of their fëa's, their hearts and bodies. They stayed there until the water began to cool off. Thranduil helped Ari out of the bathtub and dressed her in a long, silk nightdress. He wound a soft cloth around his waist before he carried her to their bed, placed her onto the soft mattress and lay down next to her. Ari snuggled up to him while he held her close.