At Death's Door

Thranduil walked into Ari's chamber. Hurwen and Ari turned around, obviously surprised by his early visit. Seeing that his wife was not yet fully dressed, Thranduil dismissed Hurwen.

"You may leave now. This morning, I will dress my wife."

Ari's eyebrows shot up in surprise. When Hurwen had left the chamber she said, "My king, I hope you really intend to dress me and not undress me. I am starving."

Thranduil smiled at her as he approached her. "I intend to dress you."

Taking the task of dressing his wife into his own hands, his fingers worked fast and Ari was amazed at how skilled he was. When she was fully dressed, he looked at her in anticipation. "What does my lady think about my skill?"

Ari looked into the mirror and turned to him. She stood on her toes and stretched upward to kiss his lips, but Thranduil purposefully lifted his chin up, making it impossible for her to reach them. Ari pouted and turned to leave, but he grabbed her by her arm and swung her around to kiss her with passion.

"Let us have breakfast and then go out," he said a little breathless. "We will be visiting my forest today."

Ari was thrilled. Since she had returned to the king's halls, she had been out in the forest only twice. After the first time they had... Ari blushed and Thranduil smiled.

"I often remember the day when I made you my wife."

Ari lowered her gaze and tried to hide her embarrassment. The king lifted her chin up and peered closely into her emerald green eyes. "Why can't you stop blushing? Why can't you stop getting embarrassed? These habits seem to be part of your fëa."

He kissed her again and they left her chambers heading towards their private garden. Thranduil pulled her closer and kissed the top of her head. "But I am not complaining. Your shyness never fails to arouse me."

His last words had been merely a whisper and Ari smiled up at him, before she tightened her hold on his hand. When they reached the garden, they sat down for breakfast. Ari ate her favorite fruits, cherries and strawberries along with some bread. Thranduil found pleasure in watching her relish the fresh fruits.

"Where is your son?"

Ari's question brought him out of his fantasies and Thranduil straightened his spine.

"He is in the forest. And we are going to meet him there today."

Her eyes sparkled with joy. "We will meet him in the forest? What are we going to do there?"

"Yes, my love, we are going to meet him there. You will see the reason for yourself when we get there. As soon as you have finished your breakfast, we'll go."

They were riding through the forest that was now filled with summer flowers, ferns and bushes whose branches hung low, burdened by the weight of countless ripe berries. It was a stunning sight. Air regretted not being allowed to ride into the forest more often, but Thranduil would constantly insist on her safety, demanding of her to stay inside the palace halls. She could always visit the gardens, he had reasoned. It was better than nothing. The change of environment felt good to her spirit and Ari smiled blissfully. They reached a clearing in the forest where Thranduil halted his horse and looked at her.

"I am not going any further. But you may do so, if you desire."

Ari looked ahead and spotted Legolas, standing in the middle of the meadow ahead with Gimli and Galdin. They brought Aro as well, she thought. A broad smile crossed her face and she looked over to the king. She expressed her deep gratitude silently by the use of their bond and dismounted her horse. Her feet carried her quickly to them and Ari bowed respectfully to the dwarves.