Freedom Is Taken

Thranduil took long strides toward his residence. Galion followed, still terrified by the unexpected turn of events. He could not adjust to the new mood of his king. Or was it the usual mood? By the Valar, something had gone terribly wrong. Entering his chamber, Thranduil slammed the door behind him, almost hitting Galion who barely managed to squeeze through the door before it shut with a loud bang.

The king clomped to his desk and, enraged, he bashed it with his bare fists. A smashed corner piece of fine wood hit the floor, breaking the awkward silence of the chamber, and that, along with Thranduil's agitated breath was all Galion could hear. But that was just the beginning. Galion knew that.

With another violent motion Thranduil grabbed the chair behind it and shattered it against the stone wall. Then, with a harsh movement of the king's lower arm, the desk's surface was swept off from all books, parchments and ink bottles. His sleeve was now stained in ink and the moment Thranduil noticed that, it was the next thing that met the floor. Blinded by rage, he ripped the sleeve off his robe and, as if that were not enough, the rest of his robe followed, tossed almost in shreds onto a corner of the chamber. Not even the fine, elaborate brooch that held the garment round his neck had escaped his outburst. It broke in pieces as it hit the floor with a clinging sound. But Thranduil's fury had not eased yet; with his full power, he pushed the desk against the door, where it was broken in half upon impact. He turned to grab the small cabinet which stood by the window when suddenly he came face to face with Galion.

"Mellon nin..." Galion said softly and placed a hand on Thranduil's shoulder. He looked him straight in the eye. "You may ruin this room, even the entire city of Dale, but it will not dispel the darkness that still festers in your heart. You will not be able to destroy it by physical power. It can only be overcome by light. Let there be light in your heart, my friend."

Thranduil frowned, looking defeated now. He turned away from Galion and sat down on the cold stone floor, his broad back resting against the cool stone wall.

Galion took a deep breath and nodded relieved. It was over. He squatted beside Thranduil.

"Just a short while ago you said to me that starlight does not only ease our heart and mind, it certainly leads our way, too. Will you not let yourself be led by it? Let your heart be guided by this light, my friend."

"You are right," Thranduil said coldly.

Galion sighed in relief.

Thranduil rose to his feet. "You are right, indeed. Guided I will be. I know what I must do." He effortlessly moved the broken desk away from the door with haste.

Galion could see the scared expressions of the guards outside, as the king opened the door.

"Get this room cleaned up! And get everyone prepared to leave as soon as possible! We will be leaving Dale once everything has been arranged. The human girl will be under close surveillance from now on and she will be traveling with us. If she declines to do so, she will be forced to come. Once we are ready to depart I will send you to bring her here."

With these words he slammed the door shut. "I won't let a mere human become my vulnerability," he shouted enraged and walked over to his wardrobe, in search of another robe.

When the king had opened the door to order his guards, Galion had bent down to pick up the broken brooch from the floor. He raised his head slowly, almost stopping midway when he heard Thranduil's command. Galion sighed heavily, upon hearing the king's words. The door slammed and Galion stared at the king who was now busy choosing his new attire.

By the Valar, everything was going wrong, thought Galion, while he watched Thranduil. He knew it. There would be no stopping it now. The king was in this aggressive mood and there would be no end to it soon. Galion could stop the angry destructive outbursts of the king but this mood was so foul, that there was no way to stop it. Poor Ari, he thought with a heavy heart. She would soon be exposed to the king's ugliest side. It would be terrible to witness, but Galion had no choice. He never had a choice.