Obvious Intentions

In no time they were on the road again and Ari was happy to be out in the forest once more. On their way to the forest road they met many elves who were busy clearing the narrow path from fallen trees and branches. They rode on till nightfall and made camp. Ari unpacked her small bundle offered to her just before they left the palace. The same elleth had come to her again and had handed her a bag of provisions. However, this time it was a larger one. Ari noticed that her travel companions had received nothing as such. She did not contemplate about it any further and enjoyed her food after feeding hungry Aro another apple.

Finally, two days later as the king had said, they reached the city of Dale. It was far more beautiful than Ari had ever imagined. White, solid buildings reaching high in the sky among colourful markets full of people who chatted merrily or discussed heatedly over prices and quality. Trees and flowers of all shapes and shades lined the streets and graced the city's parks. Ari felt confident that the following years of her life would be spend in peace here, before she would have to move on again.

*****

It had been a month since the humans had left the palace and Thranduil caught himself thinking about Ari much more often than he would have expected. He felt different, maybe more peaceful. That was quite unusual, as his temper would easily be lost at most times. It still was, yet there had been some kind of transformation within him which he could not comprehend.

His guards had returned with the expected news that the travelers had reached Dale safely. In the weeks that followed, his spies reported back to him regularly about the new citizens of Dale. News concerning Ari's male companions were of no particular interest to him, but his considerable concern was fixed upon anything related to her. Still, the king made sure that his spies would not take notice of his special interest in the girl. He would listen rather indifferently to their full report of the males' activities, though news of Ari were the ones he anticipated to hear, and so he eagerly did.

She had not just caught his eye but some part of his heart as well, he mused. No! Not his heart, he corrected his thoughts. She only seemed interesting to him only because she was... different. Yes, that she certainly was. She was very different, nothing more than that. Nothing more, he convinced himself.

He was informed by his spies that Ari had opened her own workshop as a woodcarver. And news reached him that Dale's citizens were quite impressed by her work, keeping her busy with what she apparently knew best - carving. Thranduil had decided that his regular visit to Dale would take place three weeks earlier than scheduled. He desired to see how Ari was doing by himself .

Upon arriving in the city, Thranduil was welcomed by Nedwig, one of Bard's descendants. Thranduil had begun to acquire a high opinion of Bard after the Battle of the Five Armies. Now, long after Bart had died, his descendants still ruled over Dale. And they were doing well. Thranduil enjoyed his visits to the town, even though that meant that he would occasionally meet dwarves in the streets of the busy city. He was shown to his chambers and was now standing in the balcony looking out over Dale.

He was accompanied by Galion. "Hir vuin, we are ready to see the city, if you wish," his trusted advisor said.

"Yes. Let us depart." Thranduil strode out of the room and left the building. The sun was high in the sky and Thranduil breathed in the air of Dale. He wrinkled his nose. Human scent, mixed with some dwarven. Ugh, how he despised the latter...

Galion walked with the king over the different market places of Dale. He had strolled along them many times after the city had been reborn from its ashes. But this year was different. There were countless flowers everywhere. As far as his gaze could reach, he would see a great variety of them in different sizes, shapes and colours. This spring was glorious and the coming summer would soon follow in its footsteps. Not just the buildings and walls of Dale but also its soil had recovered from the filthy blood spilled here long, long ago. Dale had been reborn and had now become fully cleansed.

They were strolling along the large park near the center of Dale when Galion cleared his throat.

"My king, shall we?" asked Galion, looking at Thranduil expectantly.

Thranduil eyed his advisor questioningly and raised an eyebrow.

"My king, do you think I am not aware of your searching eyes? I know why we have come to Dale earlier this spring."

Thranduil smiled and turned his eyes away from Galion. Of course he would have noticed. There was nothing Galion was not aware of.

"Yes. Let us go there," Thranduil nodded and motioned Galion to lead the way.

Galion led his king away from the busy streets into a quiet picturesque alley. They walked in silence until Galion suddenly halted.

"Here we are, my king".

Thranduil peered closely at the building before he read the engraved sign placed next to fine wooden door. It had been elaborately crafted. Small summer flowers were carved around the edges and the sign read 'Ari's Craftsmanship'.