Revelation

A/N: This chapter contains descriptions of violence (Thranduil's memories on Arlos' death).

Thranduil sat next to her bed the entire night, listening to her piteous sobs. He was still in shock from all what had happened during that fateful day. He had killed Arlos. Without warning he had cut off his hand in which he held the knife. Thranduil had not stopped there. He had cut off Arlos' limbs. But not in one piece. He had chopped them off gradually, inch by inch, ignoring his screams for mercy. He had ended his life in torture, letting him bleed to death on the dirty floor of the dungeon.

Then, Thranduil had turned around to his wife to see Galion holding her in his arms. He and Legolas had untied her, and Galion had picked her up from the table, ready to take her away from that dreadful place. It was in this moment that Thranduil noticed that something was wrong. Her fëa had been taken elsewhere, where he could not follow. Wherever she was now, he could not protect her. He had taken her into his arms and had carried her quickly back to their room, where Menethil had been waiting for them.

Ari had been gone for a long time. For four days there were no lights above her body at night, and no sign of her fëa. Her heartbeat was there and her body functioned, supporting the baby within her womb, but her fëa was gone. As well as the fëa of the unborn elfling. Thranduil was horrified. He had remembered his son's dream, and the king was utterly apprehensive. What if it was true? What if she died if they would not go to Aman? Was she going to die now? Was it too late for him to take her to safety? Why had Galadriel not told him about this? Why did she appear in his son's dreams? She could have spoken to Thranduil, using her mind as messenger. She was powerful enough to do so. Doubt began to gnaw on his heart as he realized that he might have made a huge mistake. He would not be able to live without her. He was grieving profoundly for his wife who had suffered due to his stubbornness. And for the first time Thranduil began to seriously doubt his decision to remain in Middle-Earth.

Finally on the evening of the fourth day, the lights returned, and with it his wife's fëa, and the fëa of his unborn child. She hesitantly moved her hand to her belly and began to cry. Thranduil sat with her. He held her hand and caressed it, along with her tear stained face, hoping that it would bring her relief. At break of dawn her weeping had finally ceased as she had fallen asleep, still sobbing from time to time.

Legolas and Landrengilon were sitting on the edge of her bed and Galion was standing behind the king, massaging his tense shoulders. They waited for Ari to wake up. The golden light above her body was always there. It was broad daylight and the light would not disappear. Thranduil was greatly concerned. The change disturbed him and he hoped that this was a good sign. Thranduil brought her hand close to his lips and kissed her knuckles, sighing deeply.

It was sunset when Are finally opened her eyes again. They were still reddened from weeping but they were very clear. She saw her husband sitting by her side and she gave him a brief exhausted smile. He brought his face next to hers and kissed her lips softly.

"I love you," was all he managed to say, his voice trembling slightly.

Ari closed her eyes and relaxed. She had to be strong. Ladrengilon crawled up to her and hugged her as tightly as he could. She hugged him back and kissed his forehead. Ari saw the worry in her son's glistening blue eyes. She lifted her blanket and let him crawl underneath where he quickly fell asleep, still holding on tightly to his mother.

Sighing deeply, she looked up at her husband. "You arrived in time."

He nodded and kissed her knuckles once more.

"How am I?" Ari inquired.

"Menethil said that everything will be fine. I have the same opinion," he replied. Thranduil furrowed his brow. "You have been hurt. Menethil has taken care of your head injury. And..." Looking down at her belly he continued, "Your belly will be fine. It heals nicely and our unborn elfling is doing well."