2

Ashley and I walk slowly. The sidewalk seems too big for the both of us.

"I can't believe you have to change your name too." Ashley says softly. "And your hair. And everything if possible. And you have to wear contacts. And you have to move so far away!"

I keep walking, not taking a second to look at her.

This morning at breakfast, my parents received a reminder from the government.

I must: first, not go by the name Khira Madrig for many people know that name and me. I will now go by the name of Belle Stephens. Second, I must change my hair, eye color, and anything else that can disguise me from being seen as Khira. Thankfully, I got a lot tanner over the weekend from our little cruise... Lastly, I must move to a place where no family or friends would recognize me. But there will be one person who knows me to keep an eye out. And so, I must move to the Elevated, in the old Americas.

The school bell rings as we enter our first class. Everyone's mood seems to have changed. The ceremony or choosing will be held this December. It's five months away, but everyone in my age group is nervous. An assembly will be held in the auditorium later at three pm.

We have less than a year to make our names famous. If not, life may go on. But for many, like me, going to Famous could change our lives in a whole new way. We're pressured.

Class starts with the energy drained from the room. The designers stay in one corner drawing away. I would usually be there. The performers, including myself, pass around our scripts and lyrics for our upcoming play. The varsities sit at the front annoying our teacher. The authors and book lovers, also including me but not at the moment, are busy writing and discussing new projects.

The day goes by like that. Silent, weary, anxious. What a great way to start the first day of the school year.

After regular classes, I practice with the Performing Arts club.

"K?"

I look behind me and see Shawn walking towards me.

"Yeah?"

"You okay?"

"Mhmm." I say, with a convincing nod.

He laughs and shakes his head. "Everyone can see that you're not. But then again, everyone's not okay either. It's like December is next month."

I smile sadly. "Yeah."

He sits down beside me on a bench.

We watch people walk from one end of the theater to another.

"To be honest, I'll miss this place- this school." I say softly.

He puts an arm around me. "We'll miss you too. I wish you could stay."

I give him a sad smile.

"So I'm guessing you can stay here?"

He shakes his head. "I'm getting shipped off too."

"But you said 'we'll miss you'..." I say.

He laughs. "That's because the school will miss you and so will I. Whether I'm in school or not."