14

Mark drove us around the city while Brittany and I talked, discussed some history, and took a bunch of pictures. We also visited the flower field and beautiful lake where Chad had taken us before and had a picnic.

Since Felicia decided to give me the week off, I decided to bring Brittany to more places, most of which I haven't even been to.

"I wonder what the guys are doing." Brittany says as we walk around the ferry boat.

"Well, Mandy and Honey probably made plans of their own." I reply.

Brittany looks at me. "Do you like Chad?"

I'm take aback by this question.

"I-I don't know. He's handsome and kind, sure, but I don't like like him. And since we didn't get to see each other for days until he showed up at that tower, I didn't think of him. Maybe I did think of it before, but after what happened, my mind has changed and so have my priorities."

I see her turn back to look at the view with a quiet expression.

"Why?"

She smiles softly.

"Oh. You do." I conclude.

She shrugs. "I crushed on him before I met him in person. Meeting him just makes things more real. And complicated."

I smile. "Brittany, I got butterflies and smiled crazy when Chad and I first met, but to be honest, once again, with all that happened, I think it left."

I recall the past few days but can't recall any bubbly feelings. Except the time he said he liked me when he found out I was Khira. But that was it.

Brittany shakes her head. "I don't know what to do."

I laugh. "Girls and their emotions." I join her by looking out onto the water as well. "Pray about it. And we'll see what happens these next few days."

"But Belle. He took you on a date. You guys laughed and talked and smiled. It's all gone now, for you? How can that be?"

My smile fades. "I did enjoy our date and I did feel all the jitters. But you know how at that moment it seemed like everything was okay and would go perfectly but then something happens and afterwards, you feel like maybe everything was just a dream? That's how I feel. I feel like maybe it was all a dream. That it didn't happen. Even when he said he liked me that day we all revealed ourselves." I shake my head. "Brittany, don't worry about me."

She sighs. "I just don't think I have a chance. He likes you."

I stare at her shocked. "Brittany! How could a guy not like you? You're a beautifully talented, kind, open hearted, amazing girl."

She laughs softly. "Well, we'll see then." She glances at the two boys, men, behind us. "How're your brothers?"

I look back at them and see them wave.
Brittany and I smile and wave back.

"They're good. Kind of beating themselves up because I got kidnapped. But they're okay."

Brittany nods in understanding. "I can see how they'd be upset. Well, at least we're all together."