29

The next day, I stay in the hotel. The others try to make me walk and get out but I just can't bring myself to. There's so much I have to think about.

Specifically, not allowing Victoria to get into the top three. Though I doubt she could make it.

Jason offers to stay with me but I push him away too. Thankfully, he replies with, "You're not pushing me away. Not only are you my friend and a close one, but you're my girlfriend. And I'm not leaving you whether you like it or not."

So, yeah. Right now I'm sitting on the balcony eating croissant paired with coffee with my handsome, did I mention hot? and amazing boyfriend sitting across from me.

"Belle, don't pressure yourself, okay?" He says, taking my hand in his. He rubs my hand gently and I feel myself relax.

I stare at the city and wonder just how many girls and guys out there are like me, like us. Doing our best in the world we know to get a shot at living on Famous.

My phone buzzes and I see a text.

Look behind you.

I turn around and run into the open arms of my dad and mom.

"Y-you're here." I stutter.

Mom laughs with tears in her eyes. "Yes, I'm here. We're here."

I bring them to the balcony where they pull up two more chairs and share a little snack Jason and I.

"I'm so glad to finally meet you in person, Jason." My dad says, shaking Jason's hand.

Mom gives him a hug.

"How exactly did you talk to my parents?" I ask Jason.

He shrugs. "Called them. And maybe asked a favor from Mandy."

Ahh. That explains it.

We end up talking for the rest of the afternoon, catching up on everything.

"Can't wait to have you home after New Year's." Dad says.

I smile wide. I can go home soon! Hopefully...

"Wait. So you do know I was Khira." I suddenly say, realizing a little detail I had forgotten.

Jason said he asked permission from my parents. That means he found out I was Khira Madrig. And so on the tower yesterday, we could've just told him.

Oh, Khira, Belle, how blind you are. I internally slap myself.

Jason laughs. "Yes, Belle. I know who you are. But don't worry. I only found out when I asked for Mandy's help to get permission from your parents."

I nod slowly. "Okay."

My parents share a look. "And Belle, Jason has a little secret of his own."

I look at Jason and raise an eyebrow.

He runs a hand through his hair and smiles sheepishly.

"I-I may also have a little secret regarding Famous and being cast out." He starts. "And we may have been friends before."

Wait. What?

"Jason?" I start, but mom stops me.

"Jason, cut the chase dear. Tell her."

He sighs. "Okay. Belle, Khira, please don't get mad at me."

Why in the world would I be mad with him?

"If you were formerly known as Khira Madrig, I was formerly known as Shawn Sheridan." He says softly.

Oh. My. Goodness. Are. You. Serious?

Shawn. My best friend Shawn. The Shawn? No wonder Jason was suddenly easier to talk to. No wonder he was warmed up to me and- no wonder I liked him so easily. If I think about it, Jason reminded me of someone I couldn't place. And now I know it was Shawn. Because he is Shawn.

My mind is blown. So is my heart.

***
The next few days, my parents, brothers, boyfriend, and I spend time together, touring around the city on our own.

And because time flies by so fast, guess what today is?

December 24th. The day of Christmas Eve and the day of the announcements.

This is the way the choosing goes. They deliver a letter to the chosen people and once it's 11:00pm, a program starts and at 11:59, they are announced to the world. So if you've been working hard for this, you're basically waiting for a letter.

We get back to the hotel after a long day of café hopping and I see a very happy Ashley jumping up and down. Seeing her this happy might mean-

"I got the letter!" She screams.

I run to her and give her a big hug. So do my parents and everyone else.

She's so hyper and I can't blame her.

She made it!!! Ahhhh!!! I'm so happy. She kept dreaming about going to Famous. Her time has arrived.

Surprisingly, Vina and I share a silent sigh of relief.

I want to make it to Famous. I want to go back to my parents. I want to live in a place familiar and somewhere I love. I want to influence people for good.

But I don't think I want to go back to being internationally known in a big way. My life recently is more- normal. I-I want to live a simpler life. With Shawn, Vina, and my brothers.

"I think we're thinking the same thing." Vina whispers.

I chuckle. "Yes. I'm okay with not having the world watching and judging my every move. Especially Famous."

She giggles. "Yeah. To be honest, I wasn't surprised when you didn't really want Ashley and I to help announce what happened to your social media accounts and help you regain your followers. I figured you were okay with not having everyone seeing everything."

I smile. "Thank you. You're amazing."

She walks away to receive the call from Carson. She's been better these past few days. She's starting to accept that he just might be sincere in liking her. He's been proving himself more to her and they've both been praying about their relationship. I'm so happy for them.

I feel an arm around me.

"Don't ever feel like you disappointed us, okay? We're proud of you. Especially after all you've been through." Dad says.

I hug him back. "Thanks dad. Is it okay if I want to live a simpler life? I mean, a lot of people still know me but not as much as before." I say. "And, it's a nice kind of different to live this life."

He nods. "Of course it's okay! We support you no matter what."

We end up having a little celebration for Ashley. Once 11:00 chimes, we turn on the tv and watch the live program.

11:15...

11:30...

11:45...

11:59

"Ashley Medin. Drina Padeña. Allan Gars."

We clap and cheer as Ashley's name is called. I just realized something. Just as in the years before, I think those chosen are not former celebrities. They're raw stories of simple people who do extraordinary things with the gifts they've been given. I could be wrong since some celebrities could be in disguise, but I think I'm right.

"Belle. You okay?" Ashley asks when everyone quiets down.

I laugh at the concerned faces looking at me. "Guys, I'm fine. I'm actually okay with not being chosen. But I am torn. Just as Vina is. Leaving the place I grew up in, where my parents live, forever and I can only visit occasionally?"

My mom gives me a hug. "We'll find a way to be together and stay close."

I nod and give her a convincing smile that I am okay.

"God is with me. I love my life. And I'll make the most of it no matter what. Besides, you don't need to be famous to live out your purpose."