Chapter 1

"Lust indulged becomes a habit" -
St. Augustine

The Beast

The shuffle of cards, the clang of chips and the smell of cigar smoke anchored me to the present.  Working the bar was relaxing.  The furry mask did the job of hiding my face and allowing me to study the guests.

"I need a Dirty Hurricane, Dark and Stormy, Sex on the Beach and Three Wise Men" Audrey Potts said as she leaned across the bar grabbing napkins and placing them on her tray.

"Only three wise men?" I was a smart ass but honestly that order sounded like some type of code.

Of course Audrey just smirked at me.  "Are you sure that you're not serving a table of Russian spies?"
I could see her eyes rolling up behind her mask.  We've been together for awhile. Audrey was like a second mom to me.  Of course, she was my step mom at one point but my dad had discarded her after  two years of marriage.  Over the years, I've watched a number of men hit on her.   I made the drinks and place them on her tray.   I watched her swing around and sashay back to her table.  I had to admit my father had good taste. 

A few minutes later the lights started flashing and the music was turned up.  I watched Babette and Alexis approached the stage.  They grabbed two of the poles and started to perform.  Every time I saw the routine I got a hard on.  Hello?  Two beautiful girls swinging their asses and bouncing their tits.  You would have to be gay or inhuman not to want those two. 

This was a primary example of why my SAA group meetings never went well.  According to Coach Dickhead a/k/a Cole Rose , I was setting myself up for failure. It was a good thing the rest of the members considered me a rock good. The guy who got his fix. Sometimes I wonder if some of them attended the meetings just to hook up with other sex addicts. Nobody could believe that I just wanted be left alone. My problem wasn't my desire for sex. No, my problem was that I had a hard time saying no to the opposite sex. According to Dickhead, I was never going to make progress unless I could admit I had a sex problem. I tried to explain to him that the problem wasn't sex, it was the opposite sex.  Clearly we did not have a good relationship.  The court demanded I see him once a week.  Jeez, all this for screwing an undercover cop in public.  It wasn't my fault the cop shove her luscious breast in front my face and leaned in to ask me if I wanted some.  Hello, what man would say no to a Latin goddess. I am only human after all. Was it my fault she was trying to catch a drug dealer? So I drive a Lamborghini, it doesn't mean I sell drugs. How was I suppose to know she thought that I was selling drugs. Her Captain refused to believe I had nothing to do with the drug sting they were running. Thanks to the help of an attorney, the Miami Dade police department resembled a bunch of fools. Sadly the Judge was not happy with the circus frenzy hence my sentence with coach Dickhead. I might have been innocent of drug trafficking but I was guilty of screwing Officer Marylis Alveraz in public.

"I need a scotch and water"  Audrey shouted.
"The spy table?" I asked.

"Hell, no the scotch is for me and the water is for the asshole at table 8."

I raised my eyebrows hoping Audrey would take the hint.  Then I remember that he damn mask, not that it mattered Audrey was to busy shooting eye daggers at the blonde man at table 8. I put the scotch on her tray and had pleasure of seeing her grab the scotch and down it in a single shot.  She then toss the glass behind her head where clank off the bar and shattered onto the floor at my feet.

"Hey, that's coming out of your pay."

Audrey paid no attention to the damage she done, instead she wiped the back of her hand across her mouth and grabbed the water out of my hand. Still looking at the blonde dude, she proceed to spit in his drink. Oh shit, I could only imagine what this dude had done to deserve the famous Audrey Venom. Audrey rarely got pissed, in fact, I only seen that temper twice: the day she caught my dad in bed with our neighbor and the day some asshole accidentally hurt her son Chip.

I watched her walk over to the  asshole seated at table 8.  She leaned across him and dropped the drink on the table.  The water splash out of the glass and some of the Liquid  landed on the guy's power blue button down.  It was a minor miracle
that she did not pour it over his head.   She put her hand on her hip and smile.  It was one of those really nasty smiles.  The one that said run while you have the chance and God help you if you decided to look
back.  Of course the sucker didn't realize he been given an escape route with a narrow time to escape with some dignity.

"Aaron " I hollered "make me some popcorn."
I watched Jack run after him, shooting me a dirty look at the same time.

"You can't have him make popcorn." Jack all but shouted.

"Of course I can. Hurry up my good man, the show is about to start!"

"Aaron Cogsworth, if you get him popcorn..." I didn't bother listening to the rest.  While Dickhead may have been my SAA coach,  Jacques "Jack" Lumiere was my self appointed life coach.  Why I need a life coach, I had no idea.  Jack seem to think my soul needed saving.  He felt I was rude and crude, that I needed to be educated on the finer things in life.   Personally, I thought that was a bunch of bullshit. I appreciated the finer things in life.  Just look at  my car.  Apparently a Van Gogh was not the same thing as a car!  Duh,the car was much more useful!  I made the mistake of pointing that out, at which point he boxed my ears.

I watched the stupid fool at table smile pleasantly at Audrey.  He lifted the glass, making show of it : toasting Audrey.  He took several deep gulps and put the glass gentle on the table.   I watched him lick his lips.  From where I was standing,  it was easy to see the steam raising off off Audrey.  I knew as the owner of this fine establishment I should intervene and put an end to this. But man I had to give the guy credit. He had balls.

"Please tell me you are going to stop that?" Jack asked hopeful.

"Now why would I do that?"

I saw Jack roll his eyes skyward. Dude, if he thought God was going to intervene he would be waiting till hell froze over. He must have reached the same conclusion because he stomped off towards the table.

"If you want something done, do it yourself."  He grumbled.

"Should I make the popcorn?" Aaron asked.

I saw Jack turn around and glare at him. "Okay, no popcorn." Aaron mumbled.

"Audrey, ma Cherie, you are needed in the kitchen." Jack said approaching the table.

"Fuck you" was Audrey predictable response.

Jack didn't bother looking my way. He knew I was not going to step in. If I was honest I lived for moments like these.  The small times I could focus on someone else problems.  In our own way we  were all cursed   I've come to realized that everyone had there own cross to bear. Some people just made it easier then others.

I saw Jack , partially wrap his arm around Audrey and drag her away. " Aaron, get this man a drink on the house." He shouted.

"That's coming out of your pay Jack! I don't do freebies."  I growled.