Chapter 11

Gaston

Holy shit, I stared at my nice polished black shoes. My expensive black shoes.  I couldn't believe it. This is what I get for trying to help someone.  This is why I need to be a dick because seriously why help someone who is just going to puke all over your designer shoes.  

I growled down at the girl. I couldn't help it, I was pissed. She looked miserable. Why the hell was she sitting on the ground next to a vagrant?  Why the hell did I even care?  Duh, she was beautiful.  Of course, looking at my shoes, I had to remind myself of that fact.  I liked beautiful women and this one was rare. She was smart, funny and didn't care what I thought about her which was probably why she puked on my damn shoes.

I grabbed the collar of her shirt and hauled her up. I wasn't gentle, I was pissed. The girl was dangerous to herself. I didn't give her a chance to protest. I just dragged her ass back to the station and into the break room.

In retrospect, I should have deposited her in my office. I wanted to clean my damn shoes. The smell of vomit was not becoming and I really wanted the puke removed from my shoes fast. It was disgusting. So, of course, I chose to go to the nearest room that had a sink - the break room.  When we entered, the room went completely silent.

The girl tugged on my shirt.
"What?" I growled.
"She's giving me the evil eye." She whispered loudly. I followed her pointing finger to Claudia. I had to admit, Claudia looked like she saw something disgusting. Oh yeah, that would be my shoes. Duh!

The girl pulled at my shirt again, "Does your gun have real bullets? Better yet, do you have a charged taser so I can zap that blonde lunatic if she comes near me?"

"I'm not a lunatic!" Claudia snarled like a lunatic.  

"See" the girl exclaimed.

"For the love of Christ, why is the girl here," Claudia shouted.  I raised my eyebrows.  That she would invoke Jesus was hysterical.  Claudia's only religion was to herself and maybe Athena. The goddess of the hunt would definitely be the god Claudia would faithfully follow.

"Chill," I said and proceed to grab a paper towel. I wetted the paper towel, all the time wishing it was like that super strong one my mom used to buy what was that shit called again. Okay, I don't remember because until today paper towels have never been important. I stared at the soggy mess in my hand. Jeez, they definitely had the cheap shit at the station. I sent a silent pray heavenward that my shoes did not end up and worst condition and leaned down to swipe mess off my shoes.
"Please don't gag in front of the guys" I sternly told myself. I would lose credit-ability gagging like a damn female. I took a deep breathe which turned out to be a really bad idea. The smell hit me fast and hard. I stood back up quickly banging my head against the cabinet above the sink.

As my nostrils were recovering, I heard: "Oh my God, what the hell happened to your shoes?" Claudia practically shouted that question. I could feel the others looking at my shoes. Dammit, I really didn't need this. I looked at the girl by my side. She looked like an angel, not the devil I was beginning to suspect was hidden inside her.

God, I didn't need this. I need to clean my shoes, lose the devil by my side, and declaw Claudia. It was an impossible situation. 

"I got sick" the girl at my side replied.

I heard my fellow officers groan in sympathy. Claudia, however, smiled evilly. Even as a guy I knew to get away as fast as you can when a female gives you that look. I saw her advanced on the poor creature at my side. Claudia smile was getting bigger as she closed in on the girl.

I heard the girl gulp. She was shaking as she slowly tried to drag me in front of her. I wasn't budging until my shoes were clean. She must have realized this because she said "Your gun, use it dammit. She's going to kill me!" She screeched in my ears.
I shook her hands off. They were to close to my hair and I didn't want her pulling on precious locks.

The girl took a step back, her eyes scanning for allies. We were a family the girl was an outsider. I took a deep breathe, "Claudia". I warned sternly.

Claudia seemed to snap out of her evil grinning trance. I was lucky it only took warning. Honestly, I was sort of expecting that I was going to have to pull her off. 

"Oh my God, she smells awful." Claudia screeched.
I saw the girl quietly sniffing herself. Females really?

I grabbed some more cheap paper towels and went to work on my shoes. I was going to ignore everything except my damn shoes. I had to get them back to that nice gleamy shine. It was a matter of principle, a matter of honor.

I closed my eyes and kept swiping in the general area. "Really? Are you trying to clean the floor or your shoes." 

I felt Belle, the girl, lean across me. Her breast momentarily touching my chest as she grabbed some more paper towels. She then dropped down in front of me. If I didn't have puke on my shoes, I might have thought she was making a move on me. But no, she wiped gently at my shoes, cleaning the mess she had made.