Chapter 8

Gaston

I was getting a damn headache listening to those chains rattle around. If I knew we had caught Casper the Damn Ghost, she would have been out of here before she even sat her ass down.

I really couldn't understand why the sergeant on duty was being a dick. The girl had no criminal records and the 3 boys did. He was pretty sure the girl was the victim even if all three assholes were claiming she attacked them. Of course, they had asked the Security department at Walmart to pull the footage in the parking lot.  Unfortunately because it was not a robbery, did not happen in the store and the employee involved was off the clock, Walmart was not cooperating.  It meant that they had to get a court order to see the video and preserve the evidence. I could over ride the Sergeant but I was reluctant to do that. My men had to know that I supported their decision.

The damn chain rattled again.  Honestly, this was getting old and if she kept rattling that chain I might do something I would regret.

To make life even more complicated the girl, Belle, seem immune to his charms.  I was having a hard time trying to remember if a woman had ever been so disinterested in me. It was annoying, usually females were always trying to please me, make me happy, they were willing to work with me. This girl was not even really talking to me, a Captain. It was frustrating.  I. stared at my reflection on the steel table. Thank God this girl hadn't cause any grey to appear in my hair but I. was worry about the stress line forming above my forehead.

She rattled the damn chain again.  The girl had an awesome future as a ghost.  Avoid the light and haunt the villages.  I didn't make enough  to deal with this shit.  Usually, I didn't care.  I loved his job. I loved that my neighbors looked up to me. They were always asking for my advice.  I loved the power that came with pulling someone over. I loved the adoration my  fellow officers gave me and even more importantly I enjoyed being in charge. What was even more crazy was that I was only in this room because I thought she was a cute little thing. If someone had told me that this was going to take forever, I would have let the Sergeant deal with her. Hell, she could be in lock up right now and the three thugs released. No, I just had to step in and do the right thing. I had to save her this ungrateful chit of a girl.

I could charge her, hold her based on the words of the three men in the other room but I knew no one in their right mind would believe that such tiny petite little thing could inflict the damage they were claiming.

She moved to rattle the chain again. I instinctively grabbed her hands to prevent the on slaughter of noise.

"Must you do that" I growled.
"Must you keep me handcuffed." she snapped.

"Unhand-cuff me, Unhand-cuff me, Unhand-cuff me" she chanted like a two year old, yanking her hands from mines and rattling those chains for all she was worth.

I closed my eyes and prayed for strength. I was a strong man. Who did she think she was? Being in this room with her rattling those chains were more then I could bear. It was exasperating. I need a beer after this. It wouldn't help, but maybe the chicks at local bar would take my mind off what a  fucking disaster this day was turning into.  Damn but my throat was parched.

"You know you need flowers in this room." The girl mumbled.

Flowers in an interrogation room! It was ridiculous, no if anything it need antlers or maybe human remains to remind the people that this job involved life and death situations. I leaned over the table and all but growled at her, "What the hell is wrong with you?"

"Wrong with me? I don't have blonde bimbos dancing around in clothes several sizes to small. Maybe if men came into Walmart in tiny ass swimming trunks everything would be Hokies dokie. You want to know what's wrong with me? I work at Walmart. I get paid minimum wage. That's right, unlike you, I live paycheck to paycheck. Actually that is not even true because my paycheck doesn't cover my living expenses. I can't remember the last time I saw a movie or had a dinner out at McDonald. God forbid I eat somewhere like Outback. That would be consider a special occasion. On top of that I am stuck baby sitting my father. So yeah my life sucks. Now unhand-cuff me." Her tirade ended on a wary sigh.

I continued to look at her stupidly. I mean what could I possibly say after that. Honestly, she had to get over the size of Claudia's shirt. It wasn't his fault Claudia was hot and like to dress like a Latin hooker. She moaned in frustration and rattled the chains again.
"Listen up Casper" I snarled.
"Casper". She shrieked
"I'll haunt your fucking ass if you don't unhand-cuff me!"

I swore she said ducking but I knew she meant fucking. Screw this crap, his men were probably cracking up. I would never live this shit down.
I reached over and grabbed her hands. I wasn't gentle. I was pissed. I did as she asked and unhand-cuff her hands. She stare at me stupidly. She was a beauty but honestly she wasn't right in the head.

"You're letting me go ?" She asked softly.

"If I find out you started the confrontation, you will be doing jail time." I told her in my sternest voice.

I watched her gaze dart around the room and heard her mumble something about air conditioning.

"The exit is that way." I said obnoxiously.  Okay, so I was an asshole but I had enough.