Chapter 2

"We cannot change the cards we are dealt, just how we play the hand" - Randy Pausch

Belle

My shift at the local Walmart was over. All I wanted to do was crawl into my bed and cry. I was tire of standing on my feet all day. I was even more tire of the assholes who purchased jumbo size condoms for their small dicks and then had the audacity to try to pick me up. I walked to my beat up Ford Escape in the early dawn light, praying it would start. I didn't have the money to fix it.  Hell, I barely had the money to cover the rent.  I told myself to think of something positive:  like the fact that I still had $20.00 in my checking.  (Pathetic right? But usually I am down -$20.00 so it is positive ).

Positive thoughts only took up a fraction of my time and it wasn't long before I was thinking about how to come up with the money for food and electric.  I wasn't paying attention to the 3 teenage thugs hanging around the car park.  I sure as heck didn't hear them following me as I walked to my car. 

"Where do you think your going, pretty girl?" He asked as he grabbed my arm.

A thousand thoughts flew through mind.  I read over a 100 books on self defense I could take this guy. I told myself.

"I don't think she likes you Charlie." another  man said.  My odds were going down, but my hopes were dashed when I heard the third one chuckling.  I would have to be Jackie Fuckin Chang to come out of this intact. 

I looked longingly at my Ford Escape.  I doubt I could make it to the SUV in time and even if I could  there was no guarantee that the piece of shit would start.  Shit, I was doomed.  Fuck positive thoughts.  There was nothing good about today.  There was nothing good about yesterday, and there sure as hell was nothing good about this entire week. 

I jerked my shoulder free and turned around.  I like to see what was coming my way.  Yeah, I'm the dumb blonde that would open the cellar door in a horror movie. I would rather know what's out there instead of hiding, even if it meant my death.  While I did not scare easily, I was not a big fan of horror movies. 

"Oh she's pretty." Farley said or was it Roly  or Charlie. 

"Who the fuck gives a shit, he was going to be on the ground cradling his family jewels in a minute or two."

"I'm not a dog moron."  Yeah, I talk before I think.  It's a bad habit. A habit I needed to break.  I figured I better start kicking the shit out of him while I still had the advantage. My knee crashed into his groin. I heard his surprised yelp as my arms came down on his shoulders pushing him to the ground. He curl into a nice fetus position and continued to roll around on the black top. Maybe I could be Jackie Fuckin Chang! I gave the remaining two the evil eye.

Clearly the remaining thugs weren't Italian because the evil eye had no effect on them. They continue to advanced. 

"Run, run, run" the screeching voice was coming from deep inside.  A left over of some  survival instinct I didn't know I possessed. To bad it wasn't hard wired to my muscles.  Any sane creature would be long gone, but my feet refused to move. Jeez, I was so fuckin dead. Little Tito (that was the name I mentally gave the thug on the left) was approaching with a switchblade. "Knees, knees knees aim for his fuckin knees"  the voice chanted in my head. It sounded desperate.  Who was I kidding, I was desperate.  It's a sad day when your body stops taking orders.  It felt like my body was rebelling and Little Tito was getting closer.  Run or fight bitch decide now.  Wow, my inner voice was coping an attitude or maybe I was going crazy.  Both were distinct possibilities. Little Tito was closing in and his buddy was right behind him. The jewel cradling touchy-feely dude had stop crying.  It was going to be 3 against one soon. Without thinking I kicked my leg out and connected with the stomach of the recovering thug. I smiled in delight when I heard his grunt of pain. I saw Little Tito glance at the prone figure on the floor.  I shook out my hand, like Rocky preparing for a fight.  Before I knew what I was doing ", I had taken 2 steps forward and slammed my knee into the knife holding thug. I heard his grunt of pain, as I started to move away the asshole grab my hair. My muscles finally received the single from my damn brain, sadly it was to late to run. If this was a classic case of survival for the fittest, I would have been long dead by now.