Chapter 7

Belle

I was in a staring match with Officer McDreamy. I was probably going to lose or maybe not. The guy was definitely eye candy and I could literally stare at him all day. Beside if I blinked, my eyes might stay close. I might fall asleep. Right now my eyes were saying "God, he's hot". Meanwhile my mind was saying "Woman find a damn bed and go to sleep."

I leaned back in my chair and smirked at Officer McHoty. Yeah, I hated to lose. Let's be honest, no one in their right mind wants to lose. 

He blinked. Did that mean, I won our little contest?
I suck at these type of games.  I didn't have any siblings and truthfully the only thing I really stared at were books.  I could look at a book for hours and hours.  They were an escape from the hell that was my life. I guess it would be okay to close my eyes but it was sincerely getting harder to lift them. I was exhausted.  Working at Walmart was like working for Disney, except the kids that shop in Walmart were adults.  Dealing with them took a lot of energy. Some of them took role playing to new heights.  There was the lady that came in dress as Ariel: fin and all, minus a shirt (or should I say conch shells).  She literally walked through the whole store with a water bottle squirting herself.  When she got to the register she asked for a map so she could find the sea.   Then there was a guy who came in wrapped in tin foil.  Every employee was like "Wtf?  Let's guess what he is."  Some believe he was the tin man, or thought the outfit was to ward off body snatchers or an alien invasion.  Are you wondering what he bought? A package of Fruit of the Loom and a fishing line.  Disappointed?  All of us couldn't figure that out either.  I am not making this crap up and no it was not Halloween.  Don't get me started on Halloween.  Those customers are crazy!

Officer McHoty shifted in his seat.  My eyes flew back to his.  Still he sat there and regarded me in silence.  It wasn't normal.  People like to talk, if I kept quiet they gave up.  Officer McHoty wasn't giving up and he wasn't talking.  Why couldn't he just book me and throw me in a cell with a nice cot and a blanket?  Men, they were impossible to understand.   It didn't stop me from wondering what Walmart Officer McHoty  shopped at or if I could get a transfer there.  Then there was the other game I played when people walked in: you guessed what they would be buying. Yeah, we sometimes had to much time on our hands. I wondered what Officer McHoty purchased? Tighty Whiteys, weights, vitamin supplements, and veggies?  Boring,  I was getting tired just think about his boring list.  "See he might be hot but he was boring."  My brain argued with my eyes. 

I looked back at Officer McHoty only to notice he was studying his reflection on the stainless steel table I was still handcuff to. I jerked my hands making the chain jangle. I saw him cringed.  He glanced my way then went back to studying his reflection.

1 minute, 2 minutes, three minutes...17 minutes.

"Oh for the love of Pete, just say something."  I shouted.  I wasn't Edward Cullen, I couldn't read his damn mind.  My patience had expired 15  minutes ago.  I wanted to go to sleep.  When I was younger, I use to think that staying up was a privilege.  To stay up all night made you cool.  Being an adult  made you realized how stupid you were.  Sleeping was a privilege, not working was a privilege, having no responsibilities was a privilege. I want my childhood back. 

Officer McHoty looked at me, as though he forgotten I was even there.  I wondered if it was a tactic:  wear them down by boring them to tears.  Damn him, it was working.

"Dude can we lose the handcuffs.  It's uncomfortable."   I complained. 

He raised one eyebrow.  How the hell do people do that?  I can't do it.  I definitely can't do it and still look sexy.  It was unfair.   It also pissed me off.

I yanked the damn cuffs again and started rattling them.  The noise was unbelievable.  It must be because the room was small. The acoustic  in this room was an audio lover's dream.  I saw him winced again and smiled evilly banging my hands against the table to a melody only I could hear.

He sighed.  Oh man, Officer McHoty knew how to do that brooding look.  You know the ones that make young girls scream in delight.  Damn the man was hot!  He really should have been a model.  Being a cop was so unhealthy.   I mean you could die and then that would be horrible. 

"Must you do that?" He groaned.

"Must you keep me handcuff?  I snapped back.