Chapter 8

Ezryan found her on the balcony overlooking the village nearby; the Kingdom of Galia.

She looked serene. Her hair cascading down in big, shiny, black curls under the moonlight. But it was her eyes that tugged some invisible string that found its way to his heart. He could see the trailing tears, sadness bending her form.

He could feel her sadness, and it drowned him in crashing waves. Ezryan went and stood beside her, staring straight while she hurriedly wiped her eyes.

"Beautiful night, huh?" He asked, still not looking at her.

Afraid if he did, he might gather her into his arms and whisper assurances, which might lead to slap in the face followed by a string of curses.

But she stayed silent.

"The way the village lights are scattered and clustered in the dark, kind of look like stars in the night sky, right?"

"Ryan, stop beating around the bush! It's slightly annoying." She huffed.

"Are you alright?" Getting straight to that metaphoric bush. He kept his gaze straight ahead but she still didn't answer.

"Gods, Belle, I a- ." He turned to face her and froze.

Fresh tears were streaming down her cheeks, her eyes downcast.

Ah, great. Just great, he muttered to himself in his head.

He held up her chin with his thumb, his finger supporting underneath her chin, and wiped away her tears with his free hand. He gazed into her beautiful silver and gold flecked amber eyes, losing himself in their depths as she meet his gaze with hers.

"Again I ask you. Are you alright?" He asked softly. Fighting the urge to steal a kiss from those soft lips.

Her face was so close to his. His head bent while hers tilted up. All he had to do was swoop down and-

He cleared his throat and backed away a little. He couldn't. It was wrong. She was vulnerable. He was engaged.

"I'm fine." Belle finally recovered. "This is all just very hard to grasp all at once."

"I wish I could tell you, 'I understand', but I'd be lying. I don't think I can imagine being in your situation. But I'm sorry for what you're going through." He replied sympathetically.

"Are you, human?" Then she laughed to herself. " Of course you're not. That would explain the inhuman strength you had last night." She said as if finally understanding for the first time.

Wait. It was her first time.

"I'm a Faerie. Like you're father, I guess. I wonder if I know him. I just realized I didn't ask for his name and they never mentioned it."

"I don't know if I even want to know." She nearly whispered. "After all, he left me. He didn't want to raise me."

Ezryan's heart hurt all over again.

Dammit, why?! He barely knew her!

Heck, she barely knew herself, come to think of it.

Focus, Ryan, focus. You're trying to comfort a damsel in distress. "I'm sure, he has his reasons."

Did he?, Belle thought gloomily.

She needed to get herself together. Crying wasn't going to solve everything. Even though she felt like a knife had been stabbed in her heart repeatedly.

Ricky, who grew up with her, probably told her countless of lies she wouldn't remember. Uncle Richard, whom she saw as a father has been keeping secrets from her. How can she believe anything they say now?