Chapter 12

The group found a place to take a break by noon. Belle was glad to stretch out her legs. Riding for two days on a hard saddle was already getting to her, even if they did take breaks. Ezryan, Sam, Ricky, and the two soldiers seemed unaffected by the hard ride. The others looked as tired as Belle felt. HD complaining the most.

"If we don't reach Sythel soon, I might develop some kind of rash down there. And my backside is killing me." HD whined.

Sunny scrunched her face at him in disgust and got up and left to find someone else to sit next to.

"My little ray of sunshine, come back! I need you!" HD called after her retreating figure.

Sunny, surprisingly, flipped him a finger, making HD howl with laughter. Belle grinned. Ezryan, Luke, and the soldiers were by the river refilling everyone's flasks. Ricky and Ace were talking about something unpleasant, judging from Ricky's frown. Sunny was resting against a tree with closed eyes. Sam was tending the horses.

Belle decided to stay standing, stretching her legs, knowing they'll be sitting for the rest of the day anyway, on saddles. Luke offered one of the flasks. Belle accepted it gratefully. She drained down half of the bottle and had to pause to breathe.

"Whoa there. You might as well go drink up the river while we're here." Luke joked.

Belle laughed harder than she should have. The stress was definitely catching up to her. Luke chuckled with her. Before she could respond with some witty reply, he was called away by Ryan. Ezryan didn't look tired, but he didn't look relaxed either.

No doubt he was hiding how tired he was. Or maybe he was too tired to show any emotion. Oh, why is she even thinking about it, it's none of her business.

Belle turned away only to meet Ricky's gaze. He offered a friendly smile, but Belle didn't feel like returning the gesture. She strolled over to where Sam was. Sam didn't acknowledge her presence. She continued checking the straps and the packs.

"So, Sam. Were you born in Orous?" Belle mentally smacked herself for asking such a stupid question.

Of course she was from Orous. That's where most of the vampires stayed.

"Yes." was all Sam had said.

Belle didn't like the awkward silence. But she couldn't think of a single topic that wouldn't offend Sam in some way. Luckily, she didn't have to think of anything because Ryan was walking towards them.

"Horses ready to go?" He asked Sam.

"Ready than they'll ever be."

"Okay, everyone, mount up! We're almost there." He shouted for everyone to hear.

Belle groaned inwardly. She reluctantly reached for her horse. Hesitating at the sight of the saddle. Everyone was already climbing onto their horses when Belle pulled herself up on hers.

When everyone was astride, Ryan took that as a signal to canter away. They dashed through the forest when they reached the familiar path. Ezryan and Luke had led the way.

===

As the sun began to set, Belle hid her elation when Ryan slowed down to a trot. The walls of Sythel can already be seen at the end of the path. She wanted to drop to the ground.

As they neared, she saw the gates, that was situated at the wall, leading into the kingdom. Two towers stood at the top-sides of the wall, framing the gate. Each tower had two archers. On the ground, they were met with roughly, fourteen soldiers, drawing their swords. Archer and soldier aiming their weapons in their direction.

"Halt!" One of them commanded before they reached them.

"I think they're going to kill us." HD's voice floated to Belle's ears from the back.