Prologue

"Lila?" Wyatt called and I looked up from the book that I was currently reading and towards the door which led to the conservatory, since I knew he was in there.

"LILA!" Wyatt shouted after I didn't answer his call and I was instantly flooded with his fear and panic. Frowning to myself I let my book drop to the floor, as I jumped up out of my seat and rushed through the door that joined the conservatory to the living room.

Wyatt was standing next to the table that Piper kept in here to display family photos, but he was looking at the table that was part of the conservatory suite. He looked at me briefly when I walked in and in that brief moment I saw how scared he actually was, before his attention went back to the table.

"Wyatt what's wrong?" I asked him carefully and he pointed shakily at the table. I glanced over as well while walking over to him so that I could stand next to him. He grasped my hand in his and I was able to make out some sort of object on the table but I couldn't see anything else. That area was too fuzzy for me to see anything else.

Wyatt's hand started shaking in mine and I averted my gaze to look at his face. Sweat was collecting on his brow as a frown covered his face.

"Sweetie why are you shaking?" I asked him in a gentle voice, as though I was talking to my little brother, which of course I wasn't. I saw Wyatt's Adam's apple bob as he swallowed before he turned his body towards me so he wouldn't be able to see the object on the table. He shook his head.

"I don't know but it's really shaken me up" he replied, brushing his free hand through his hair. I quickly removed a stray piece of his golden hair away from his eyes and looked into them.

"Why Wyatt? What is it?" I asked him and he shook his head just as I was consumed by his feelings.

Never before had I ever felt how scared Wyatt could be, but whatever it was that was on the table, it was scaring him immensely. Not only was it the fact that it had appeared out of nowhere, but what scared my best-friend-who-was-practically-my-brother the most was the fact that he had a weird desire to hold the object because it felt familiar, even though he didn't remember ever setting eyes on it in his life.

"What the heck is going on? Chris and I can hear you both from all the way upstairs?" Melinda asked and Wyatt and I turned to see his siblings walk through the door to join us. I gestured towards the table with my free hand, which had Wyatt turning his attention back to the table. I saw Melinda frown, and she too looked to where I had gestured, before she gasped.

I frowned to myself since it was obvious that Melinda could see whatever was on the table easily, yet I couldn't make out what it was, only that there was something there. It was as though my vision was clouded by a mist whenever I looked towards the table. It was definitely frustrating.

"Wyatt why is there a sword on mom's favourite table?" she asked and I felt Wyatt shrug next to me.

"I don't know. I don't even know how it got here" he replied, and as soon as Melinda said the word 'sword' it was as though someone had wiped away the steam from a window, because I was suddenly able to see it.

There on the table was the most beautiful sword I'd ever seen, and believe me I've seen plenty in my time, both in books as well as literally in front of me. The handle sparkled a silver colour, as though it was covered in bowlfuls of silver glitter and the blade of the sword had a luminosity about it, in that I couldn't pinpoint what colour it was. One second it looked white, the next second it looked blue and even grey at some times, but whatever colour it was made it look as though it was transparent. Wyatt jumping next to me shook me away from my study of the sword and I realised that it was glowing a white colour.