Chapter 33

Chris' P.O.V

Lila's last breath left her and her hand became even colder as I held it in my hands, against my chest. I willed her to open her eyes, to jump up and shout 'surprise.' God I would give anything right now to have her open her eyes so that I could look into her green flecked ones just one more time. I gulped as I heard Melinda crying and Caleb trying to quieten her. I loved my sister to pieces but for once I wish she would just shut the hell up. It just made everything all the more real.

"Chris" I heard Wyatt gulp and I looked up at my older brother. He was sitting cross-legged on Lila's other side holding her hand to his lips, his eyes not moving from her face. I gulped again and tried to force my tears back as I watched my brother.

Wyatt was always the strong one in my family. He was always in control of his emotions but ever since Lila left that had changed. It had changed all of us. Seeing him sitting there crying over the love of my life- and the girl that he classed as his sister- made me realise that this was not some horrible nightmare. Lila really had died. The only woman who I'd truly ever loved, and the one woman who I wanted to spend the rest of my life with. A sob escaped my throat as I realised that our dream of marrying would never happen. I would never say the words 'I do' to Lila and she would never become my wife. I wanted to scream at the world and rip it apart, just like this stupid destiny had done to me.

"Chris I can't feel her" Wyatt sobbed and I looked up to see his tears landing on Lila's face. I wiped them away for her, and gasped as her skin was as cold as ice against my fingertips. Wyatt looked at me and we shared a look. We both loved her, in our own way, and we had both felt the bonds we had with her being stripped away. It had been painful, so much so that it had caused Lila to scream in pain. It had hurt me, to see her like that, knowing that she wouldn't be comforted by Wyatt's feelings, and mine, through the bond, to ease her into the afterlife. God afterlife! She is really dead! I thought and with that my eyes welled up as I gazed at her face. She looked slightly peaceful, and I hoped that she was happy, wherever she was.

Her face was ghostly white and I wanted her to gain some colour, even when she was ill Lila had never been that pale. Her lips that I used to love kissing now looked thin and her once beautiful red hair was now dull. Her eyes were closed and I had to keep reminding myself that she was not sleeping and wouldn't wake up in a few hours. Though that was what I wanted to believe. It would've been so much easier to accept.

I felt Melinda crouch down next to me but I was too busy watching Lila to take any notice of my younger sister. I felt bad for that since I knew Melinda was missing her as much as me, but I needed to mourn her before I dealt with my sister. I knew Melinda would understand.

I swallowed around the lump in my throat as the rest of my family joined us.

They formed a circle around Lila's body and I felt sick at the fact that they had been the ones who killed her. It was their fault that she was dead now. It was all of our fault for not believing in her. She always had a plan in whatever she did. She was the brains of the operation while Wyatt, Mel and I were the spell writers.

"Why?" I whispered and Wyatt winced but kept his head down as I felt my Mom place her hand on my shoulder, trying to offer us both comfort. I knew she would miss Lila as well, no matter what she said.

"I'm sorry Chris. We had no idea that she was planning to kill the demons all along. We thought she was honestly going to end our entire line" Mom said and I growled.

"Well why didn't Aunt Phoebe see it" I said, anger lacing my words and I felt my mom jump at my tone. I never talked like that, especially when it came to my family.

"I'm sorry Chris but you know that's not how my premonitions work" Aunt Phoebe gasped and I instantly felt horrible. I sighed.

"I'm sorry Aunt Phoebe, I didn't mean it" I said, more tears falling from my eyes. I've lost Lila, but I knew she wouldn't want me to take it out on my family, especially Aunt Phoebe. Lila loved Aunt Phoebe.