Chapter 4

I nodded to Chris, telling him that I'd gotten what I'd needed before I took a seat on the chair nearest me.

"Now remember that when my power starts working I go into a sort of trance-like state. If you need to you can get me out by calling my name or something like that and it will work as long as I can hear you, but as long as I don't become too overwhelmed by what happens I should be able to get myself out" I instructed and Chris nodded as he sat on the floor in front of me just as Delilah walked in and smiled at Wyatt.

"Hey Lila" she said and I nodded at her.

"Hey Delilah, how are you feeling?" I asked her.

"I feel a lot better. Thanks for helping to get me out of there" she said and I nodded.

"No problem" I said and settled back against the chair, making myself comfortable as I did so. Chris smiled at me and I took a deep breath before pulling the pendant out of my pocket and looking at it for a while.

The necklace was very dainty, but made of pure gold. The chain itself was very thin, yet it was heavy in my hand and the pendant was just a blue sapphire that sparkled under the living room lights. If I tilted it a certain way it looked as though there was something swimming in the stone. Biting my lip I let my right forefinger trace the outside of the stone and felt the stone buzz against my skin. I gasped as I realised what this chain was for.

"The necklace was a token that the demons kept after they did something to the witch that owned it. I don't believe that they killed her but I don't know what happened to her. I think the sapphire was personal to the witch, maybe even personal to her family line and I can feel that it was used as a way to magnify the witch's power" I said aloud to the boys and they nodded at me.

I wrapped the chain around my right wrist and let the sapphire nest against my palm before clutching it in both of my hands. I closed my eyes and focused on the heat that seemed to radiate from the stone. I breathed in through my mouth and at the same time let the heat from the stone warm up both of my hands. When I focused more on the heat it seemed to travel up both of my arms before slowly encompassing my whole body. I took a dozen cleansing breaths before pulling the heat from the pendant and allowing it to mingle with my ability to trace demons before ordering my power to show me the demon that had harmed the necklace's owner.

Find me the demon  I sent to the energy that was building inside me and was rewarded with the feeling of travelling downwards before I was hit by a wall of hatred.

When the feeling of hatred subsided and I was able to make sense of everything around me, I saw that I was sharing a body with one of the demons in the room where Wyatt, Chris and I had been just moments before. I saw that the book was sitting on the bookcase where I had returned it, but the room was full of demons sitting down on the couches and beanbags, except the demon whose body I was in and one other one. The other demon was pacing around the room and I couldn't make out who it was, but he looked so familiar.

"I can feel an energy shift in here. Someone's been here" the demon whose body I was sharing said. The demon who was pacing the room froze momentarily but continued with his pacing soon after. There was almost a sort of rhythm to his pacing.

"How can you be certain Shalimar?" one of the demons who was sitting down around the fire said. I turned to the demon to see him wearing an expression of disbelief and I frowned at him.

"Do you dare question my ability to sense energies? It hasn't let us down so far has it!" my host said and the demon who was sitting down shrunk into the cushions and shuck his head.

"I was merely asking, Shalimar" the demon replied and I nodded before deciding to walk around the room, my right hand out in front of me.

"It feel like three witches were here, but one of the witches feels strange" my host said as the air warmed around my outstretched hand, allowing me to also read the energy that had been left behind when Chris, Wyatt and I exited the room.