Chapter Fourteen

COCO

The guard shoved me inside the cell and closed it. I nervously looked around the cell to see at least fifty men cramped in this tiny space. It was hot in here with no ventilation, the close musty air assaulted my nostrils. There weren't even beds in here. The men were just sitting there on their makeshift beds madeout of flattened cardboard cartons.

They paused and looked at me. The cell went silent for awhile. My face crumpled in half-alarm half-terror. Damn it! I was convinced I wouldn't make it out alive here. I felt like a sheep thrown into the den with a pack of hungry wolves.

I avoided eye contact, sitting next to the bars and looking out. Sana dumating na sina Mommy at Daddy.

"Toy..." I felt a heavy hand slap my shoulder, making me wince in pain. "Ano'ng kaso mo?"

My neck felt stiff. Nagsasampung-isip ako kung lilingon ako at papansinin siya. I just wanted to go about my business unharmed. Mom and Dad would be here anytime now. They'd get me out of here. 

"Antipatiko pala 'to, mga kosa. Toy, pag kinakausap ka, sumagot ka. Pipi ka ba?" He said in a stronger, more intimidating tone.

I cleared my throat and turned my head to his direction. Holy hell! The man looked like he was taking steriods for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.

"Rape."

"Gago pala 'to. Hinawakan ko lang, rape na daw." Sabi niya sa mga kasamahan niya. Nagtawanan ang iba pa.

"Rape ang kaso ko." I corrected.

"Alam mo ba ginagawa namin sa mga katulad mo dito?" Tumayo ang isa pang lalaki. He was stick thin but atleast 80 percent of his body was covered in tattoo.

"No..." My voice came out in a squeak.

"Alam mo, 'toy, may anak akong babae. Maliit pa, anim na taong gulang lang." Said the human steroid. "Ako nakapatay ako ng tao pero asar na asar ako sa mga putanginang rapist na yan."

"Walang nakakataggal na rapist sa seldang ito, 'toy. Hinihiwalay sila sa amin." Tumayo ang isang pang lalaki. He looked a bit old but nonetheless, frightening.

I swallowed pass a dry throat.

"Teka, hindi naman talaga ako nangrape." I explained. "Nabuntis ko ang kaibigan ko, his father accused me of raping her."

"Lulusot ka pa eh." Dinampot ako ng human steroid sa kwelyo. "Matagal na din kaming walang punching bag dito."

"Matagal na din akong walang fafa dito." Another man with an unusual high-pitched tone said. He was bald and his muscles were big and in contrast with his feminine manner. "Mukhang masarap 'to."

I prayed to all Gods I could possibly think of and even made up some of my own, I prayed to every God holy and unholy that I'd get through this with my ass virginity still intact. 

"Coco..." Suddenly there was Anais running towards the cell I was in. "Coco!"

"Anais!"

She grasped the bars, her eyes red from crying. "Please, let him go, Mister. Don't hurt him..."

"Ano daw sabi, kosa?" He turned his head to his other cellmate.

"Nakikiusap yung babae, wag mo daw saktan si Totoy." Isa sa kanila ang sumagot.

He slowly let go of me and I went to Anais. I stretched my arms out of the bars to hold her. Her warmth was enough to comfort me.

"What are you doing here?" I wiped away her tears.