Chapter Forty

COCO

Parang gumuho ang mundo ko sa narinig ko. The words played in my mind over and over as I imagine the scene in my head. My chest felt as though it was being painfully compressed by an unseen force. I felt like I was being dragged into a blackhole as if my emotions had finally become so unbearable that it opened up a void in me.

It was one thing to know that she was having sexual intercourse. Kaya kong tanggapin kapag sinabi sa akin ni Anais na meron na siyang naka-sex bukod sa akin. I'd be okay with it. I wanted her to explore more and grow. I wanted her to experience things she'd never experienced because she I made her a mother at such a young age. But it was another thing to hear them in the act. Because I knew it really happened and I could imagine it in my head. I felt helpless hearing her man tell her to ride her.

"We just need to break them up and everything will be easier after." Sabi ni Tito Axel. We were in our theatre room. Nanonood sila ngayon ng football game habang umiinom ng beer. They were doing alot of catching up. It was obvious that they'd really miss each other.

"I don't know what to do. I'm losing her..." I sighed, trying to ease the heaviness in my chest. I hadn't been able to sleep last night, thinking Anais was having sex with someone else. Of course, I wasn't going to tell Tito Axel about it. That should just be between her and I.

"Ano ba 'tong anak mo, dude? Hindi pa nagsisimula ang laban, sumusuko na." He shook his head before taking a sip from his beer can.

"Akala ko ba mahal mo siya? At si Cookie, he deserves a complete family." Dad said.

"Anais doesn't feel anything for me. Hindi naman pwedeng ako lang ang may gusto nito." I brushed my fingers through my aching head.

"Anak mo ba talaga 'to?" Tito Axel turned his head to Dad.

"Kung hindi ko yan anak, walang Cookie ngayon." He joked.

"Do you know what you two have in common? Pareho kayong mahilig sa menor de edad." Tito Axel chuckled.

"Wow. Rich coming from you. Para naman hindi mo ginago si Tristan noon nung pinatulan mo si Val kahit kasal ka pa. At least now we have Cookie and we're going to be in laws." Dad said.

"Alam mo kung hindi lang dahil kay Cookie hindi ko gagawin 'to. I feel like I'm pimping my own daughter to your son." He shook his head. "The things love makes you do."

"I can't believe I'm sitting here with you right now. Just last week when I saw jogging outside, I wanted to run you over with my car." Tumawa si Dad. "Dude, kahit gago ka na miss ko yung ganito tayo."

"Alam mo kahit walanghiya kayong dalawa ng anak mo, na miss ko din kayo. Before Chris, alam niyo naman na sabik na sabik ako sa anak na lalaki. I treated him like my son and then suddenly I found out she got my princess pregnant. But you know, it's all water under the bridge now." He smiled.

"I'm sorry, Tito." I said, feeling a twinge of guilt.

"Kung hindi mo na buntis ng maaga si Anais, kayo ang gugustuhin kong magkatuluyan kapag dumating na kayo sa tamang edad. I watched you two grow up together. I didn't have to worry about Anais when she's with you because I knew you'd protect her even with your own life." He looked at me with a serious face. "I remember the time when you were kids, I was watching over you two on the playground. Anais leaned over too much on the side of the bridge and tipped over. You grabbed her, hugged her, and fell with her. Ikaw pa nga ang pumailalim kaya nadaganan ka niya at hindi siya masyadong nasaktan. You've always been her protector."

A nostalgic smile slowly crept across my face as I remember that moment. The bridge wasn't high, it was a playground bouncing bridge where you can cross over from the deck to the slide. She stopped in the middle of the bridge to wave at Tito Axel who was sitting on the bench not far from us then she tipped over. I grabbed her but I wasn't able to pull her up. It was either I let go of her or fall with her. I chose to fall with her and protected her from the fall so she wouldn't get her hurt. Siya pa nga ang iyak ng iyak nun kahit dumagan siya sa akin. I had to wear an arm splint after.