Chapter Nineteen

ANAIS

I had time to call Coco before I was rushed to the hospital. His car followed behind Dad's as he drove. Iniwan na si Bryce sa Yaya niya at si Mommy at Daddy ang kasama ko ngayon. Dad was panicking like crazy. He was in full on road rage, cursing and honking at every car in front of ours. My head was resting on Mom's lap and she was stroking my hair.

"It really hurts." I moaned. I could feel the burning pain spread across my lower abdomen. I could feel the contraction.

"We're almost there, honey." She gave me a kiss on the forehead.

"Mooooom..." I let out a throaty groan.

"Konting tiis na lang. It will be worth it when you see your little angel." Her voice was soft and gentle.

"Get the fuck out of our way! We have an emergency!" Dad stuck his head out of the window.

"Calm down, Axel." Mom scolded him.

"Ayaw kasing tumabi ng mga 'to!" He honked at them again. "We have a fucking emergency here!"

We got to the hospital after about ten agonizing minutes. Nurses quickly tend to us, putting me on a wheelchair and pushing me inside. They checked my blood pressure and vitals. I was still in massive pain. I could feel the contraction pulsating inside me. I could feel the baby wanting to push its way out. I was sweating so much because of the pain, my whole body trembling.

Lumapit si Coco sa akin at lumuhod sa harap ko. He brushed his fingers through my wet hair. "Anais, are you okay?"

"Do I look okay to you?" I panted, almost crying.

"I'm sorry." He quietly said and pressed his forehead against mine. "I'm so sorry, Anais. I wish I could just take away your pain and make it all go away."

I wrapped my arms around his neck and buried my face into his shoulder. I cried because of the pain and because I was scared of what was to come once the baby was out. A small life was about to change ours. Coco rubbed my back soothingly and kissed my head and whispered sweet nothings into my ear. I could feel the muscles inside me expand and contract. 

The nurse rolled me into my own unit and drew the curtains close to give privacy. Dad was busy with filling up the papers while Mom and Coco went inside with me. A doctor came in and made me open my legs to check if the baby was ready to come out.

"She is 8cm dilated. Excited yatang lumabas si baby." The doctor even had the guts to joke! I was dying here! "She's ready. In about less than an hour, nandito na si baby. We need to get her to the delivery room as soon as possible."

"Mom." I turned my head to her, tears falling down the corners of my eyes.

"What?" She gently stroked my hair.

"I'm scared."

"Oh honey, everything's going to be fine." She held my hand and lowered her head to me. "You and the baby will be okay. Wala kang dapat ipag-alala. We're here, and you have the doctor and nurses to help you. Don't be scared. I gave birth to you at home with only your Dad with me. 

"Anais, hindi kita iiwan. Nandito lang ako. I'm going to be here for you until it's over." Coco said.

The curtain and opened and Dad went in. He threw a scornful look at Coco when he saw him. "Do you see what you did to my daughter?"

"I'm sorry, Tito." Guilt was written all over his face.

"Fuck you." Malutong na mura ni Dad. He then pushed Coco away. "Move away."

Walang nagawa si Coco kung hindi ang tumayo sa sulok ng maliit na unit na iyon.

"Atticus, not right now!" Mom glared at him.