Chapter Twenty Nine

ANAIS

"Higher, Dada!" Cookie screamed. Nasa park kami ngayon at pinanonood kong maglaro ang mag-ama. Coco was pushing our son on the swing and both were laughing carelessly.

"Coco, masyado ng mataas yan! Tama na!" I started to get worried Cookie would fly off the swing when Coco pushed higher.

"No, I want to go higher!" Pilit ni Cookie.

"Cookie, I said no!" I firmly said. "Coco, tama na nga yan. Kanina pa kayo naglalaro. Pawis na pawis na kayo."

"Mymy, I still want to play." Our son whined.

"Magpahinga na muna kayo. Kumain ka muna and then you can play again." I said.

Coco stopped the swing and picked up Cookie.

"But Dada, I wanna play!" He frowned.

"We'll play later. Gutom na si Dada, I'm sure you're hungry too. We have to eat so we could have more energy to play." He explained.

"Well, okay." He said, still pouting. They walked over to the park bench where I sat. Umupo si Coco at kinandong si Cookie sa kanya. I took out the food I made for the two of them from the bag. I made two chicken sandwiches for Coco and peanut butter and jelly for Cookie. I also brought Cookie's favorite sippy cup filled with orange juice and a water bottle.

"Kumain na kayo." I said handing them their sandwiches. Coco helped Cookie unwrap his sandwich from the paper towel and the little monster took a big bite out of it.

"You said you weren't hungry." Coco playfully narrowed his eyes on his son. "Bakit ang takaw mo ngayon? You bite like a real monster!"

Cookie giggled, his mouth filled with sandwich. "I'm not hungry. I'm just feeding the worms in my tummy."

"Don't talk while eating. Baka mabilaukan ka." Sabi ko.

"Mymy, juice!" He requested.

I took out his sippy cup and handed it to him. He tilted his head back and drank from it. I watched as the two boys ate the food I prepared for them. Parehong pawisan ang dalawa sa paglalaro. I took out a towel from the bag and wiped the sweat from Cookie's forehead and hair. Pagkatapos ay pinunas ko iyon sa leeg at nilagay sa likod niya. Naglabas ulit ako ng panobagong towelette at pinunasan ko ang noo ni Coco. Pababa sa leeg niya. He stopped eating his sandwich and turned his head to me.

"Pawis na pawis ka na din. Baka matuluan mo pa ng pawis mo si Cookie."

"Thanks." He smiled. "Do you remember when we were little? Palagi tayong tumatakas noong bata tayo para lang makapaglaro dito sa playground."

I couldn't help but smile as I remember those days. "We used to always get in trouble for sneaking out."

"We were sneaky little kids." He chuckled. "You used to take your stuffed animals or your dolls with you and force me to play house. Natatandaan mo diyan sa ilalim ng slide tayo madalas magbahay-bahayan. You'd pretend to be the Mommy and I was the Daddy and your stuffed animals were our children."

I grinned. "Of course, I remember that. Tapos kunwari uuwi ka sa bahay galing sa work at pinaghahandaan kita at ang mga anak natin ng dinner."

"Para pa rin tayong naglalaro ng bahay-bahayan. Ngayon nga lang hindi na stuffed toys o mga maynika mo ang dala natin ngayon at totoong pagkain na ang kinakain ko." He laughed.

I let out a sad nostalgic smile. I had no idea those innocent games would turn into something real someday. We didn't know back then that we were going to have a baby together. Except Coco wasn't my husband. He was just the father of my son. My eyes lowered to Cookie who was busy with eating his sandwich.