Chapter Fifteen

ANAIS

"Hey, honey..." A gentle smile broke across his lips as he stroke my hair. I looked around to find that I was in an unfamiliar room. Dad was sitting next to my bed and I had IV drip on my left arm. "Are you okay now? Masakit pa din ba?"

"Dad, how's my baby?" I put my hand to my stomach. I remembered being rushed into the hospital with an unbearable pain and I kept falling in and out of consciousness because of the pain. The last thing I remember was me in the emergency room with the doctor injecting painkiller in my drip.

"The baby's okay." He said and then tears filled his eyes. "I don't know what I'd do to myself had something bad happened to you and your baby. I'm sorry..."

"Dad, it's not your fault." I took in a deep breath, trying to keep my tears at bay.

"It is. The doctor said you were in extreme stress kaya ka nagkaganyan. I'm sorry for putting you through so much." He took my hand and kissed the back of it. "Siguro nga hindi ko pa talaga matanggap na magkakababy ka na but I never wished for something bad to happen to the baby."

"I know that." I said, my voice breaking from tears.

"Always remember that I love you so much. I will protect your heart so much more than I'll protect mine. I was hurt when you told me that you're pregnant. I couldn't accept that my baby girl is going to be a mother soon. Masyado ka pang bata. Marami pang pwedeng mangyari sa buhay mo. I felt like my whole world collapsed under my feet."

"I'm sorry, Daddy. I didn't mean to hurt you." A sob escape my throat. I threw my arms over to him and hugged him. "Akala ko hindi mo na ako kakausapin. I'm so sorry. I thought I'd lose you."

"That would never happen, my love. Never think that because you did something you'll lose me. Your Mom, you, and Bryce are my life. Kayo ang rason sa lahat ng ginagawa ko. Without you three, my life would be pointless." He kissed my forehead.

"Walang magulang ang hiniling na mapasama ang anak nila. Anais, you've always thought of me as your superhero, didn't you? Hindi ba madalas mo sabihin sa akin na akin iyon noong bata ka pa? I am not perfect. You have to know that I'm only human and I make mistakes. I will stumble, I will fall, and I will make mistakes. Alot of them. But no matter what, palagi mong tatandaan na kahit anong pagkakamali ko ang kapakanan niyo lang ang iniisip ko. I am forever learning how to be a good dad to you and Bryce. Kahit na tumanda na kayo at magkaron kayo ng sariling pamilya, I will still learn because I will never stop being your Dad. I've been hard on you and I'm sorry for that. I was disappointed in myself. The first time I held you in my arms, my love, I promised to protect you from everything in this world. I was so angry and frustrated with myself. Pakiramdam ko napabayaan kita. Hindi kita naalagaan ng tama. Nagkulang ako bilang magulang."

"No, Daddy, you didn't. Ako yung hindi nakinig sa inyo." I buried my face into his shoulder and cried.

"I love you more than you know, Anais darling. I may not always be the Dad you need but I will love you until my last breath. Your time is different than mine and sometimes, I'm stubborn. I'm not one to accept defeat or change but teach me. Teach me what makes you happy, what upsets you, what you love, what you hate. There's no one in this universe more important than you."

I hugged him tighter and cried harder. "I love you, Daddy."

"I love you too, honey. Kahit anong pagkakamali ang gawin mo hindi magbabago yun. Your Mom and I will always be here for you."

The door to the room opened and Bryce came running in. Mom followed behind her.

"Hi Ate Anais!" She jumped between Dad and I. "Mom and I bought you your favorite jelly beans."