Chapter 44

RYAN'S POV

When I wake up, Becca had already left and I could hear the shower running. Formulating a plan in my head, I decide that it would be best to talk about this whole situation before school so if worst comes to worst we would skip first class and sit in the truck. I gave her some space but I'm seriously torn up that she would think anything happened with Mel and I need to clear the air.

The morning was spent with everyone getting ready and doing their own thing like always. I packed lunches, Becca did breakfast, and Alex slept until the last possible second before chasing everyone out the door. Once we're in the truck, Alex looks at me and nods. I texted him earlier that morning about wanting to talk to Becca once we get to school so he should (as kindly as possible) quickly shut the door behind him so she doesn't run out. He didn't know what happened but I knew he noticed something was very different. We got to the school and Alex bolted the second I threw the truck in park. Becca was about to follow but he slammed the door right in her face and held it shut for a little while.

"I'm sorry Becca but you need to talk to Ryan!" he yelled through the closed window. I have a very subtle brother.

After a few awkward moments, Becca slowly turned in her seat and looked at me warily. I leaned forward to grasp one of her hands and started rubbing circles on the back of it with my thumb.

"I know you don't really want to talk about it but I have to Becca. It's crushing me that you're upset over something that didn't happen and I haven't had a chance to explain the truth. If you're still uncomfortable after that then you can give me the cold shoulder. Just please don't do that when I haven't had a chance to talk to you." I spoke calmly and carefully, practically begging, and gauged her face for any type of reaction. She didn't give anything away until her eyes met my own. I could detect sadness in them but her expression still remained steady and emotionless.

"Ryan," her voice was quiet but even and unwavering, "I... It's... I'm just going to say everything I'm thinking okay?"

I nod, gracious that she's even going to talk to me, and grip her hand a little tighter.

"It's hard for me to trust people, but I know that if there's anybody I should trust it would be you. If you say that nothing happened and what you explain makes sense then I will believe you." I can't help but crack a smile. "But, that isn't the entire reason why I've been upset." My head tilts in confusion. What else did I do wrong? "I'm overreacting and I realize that, which is why I've just been trying to push it off until I get over it. It's just that you were there for me all the time during the past few weeks and now you're becoming busier with football and school. That's great and all but I think I'm getting pushed to the backburner unintentionally. I know that's stupid and that's why I didn't want to bring it up but when I saw you with Mel I just made assumptions about her being the reason you've pushed me to the side."

I think she's finished so I talk a deep breath before speaking my part with a deep and reassuring voice.

"Becca, you can trust me but I know that's something you can't force. I hope that after I tell you what actually happened your trust in me hasn't faltered. On Monday when you got sick and I had practice so late I was extremely disappointed in myself that I wasn't there for you because you are so important to me. When I found out that coach was ending practice early yesterday I was ecstatic to get home to you and didn't even think about texting you to let you know; I just wanted to get there. When Mason pulled into the driveway we saw Mel's car and were both confused. I was surprised that she was there, not in a good way obviously, and found her in the living room talking with my parents."

Becca's eyebrows raised because I don't think she knew they were there.

"She told me that she just wanted to talk but I didn't want to. Honestly, she was trying to make a pass at me but I convinced her that it would never happen and she should leave. She wanted me to walk her out to her car and I didn't say no because I just wanted to get rid of her as fast as possible. When she saw you and Landon outside, she grabbed my arm and made it look like something more than it was. That's all there is to that story. I promise you Becca." She nodded but didn't say anything, sensing that I wasn't done with my mini-speech.

"As to your second point, if there's ever something that's bothering you I want you to tell me even if you think it's stupid. I don't want you to feel like you have to brush it off because it's in your mind for a reason and will just come back up later if we don't talk about it." Her eyes glass over with unshed tears as she nods again, her long black hair swaying with the motion. "Good. I would never intentionally put you aside Becs. I know I've been busy and that's not a great excuse but just push back and talk to me when you need to okay?" She nodded and pulled her bottom lip between her teeth.

"Is there anything you want to talk about right now?" I ask calmly.

"Shouldn't we go to class?" The first bell was due to ring any minute now.

"Becs I couldn't care less about class right now. I want to know if you're okay."

The corners of her mouth lifted slightly.

"I wanted to talk about a text that Kirk sent me a few days ago, but I really can't miss class. I'm not as smart as you and if I miss an important lecture I'll fall way behind."

My heart falls. I completely forgot about the text that she received way back on Sunday.

"I am so sorry we didn't talk about that yet. That's my top priority okay? If you want to get to class we will but I'm making sure we talk about it before we go to bed alright?"

I pull her into a tight hug and kiss the top of her head. She melted into my arms and snuggled her face against my neck.

"Thank you for forcing me to talk to you," she said with a slight giggle.

I reciprocate with a smile and reply: "You bet. Now let's get to class cutie."

REBECCA'S POV

I walk into the cafeteria carrying both Ryan's and my bagged lunch. I felt trapped this morning at the beginning of our discussion but am glad we had it. I didn't know Melissa very well but that sure sounds like something she would do. Ryan also mentioned his parents being home so I could ask them to prove his point but I don't need to. He's telling the truth.

"Hey beautiful," he greets me and adds a smile. Immediately after I sit down, he snakes a strong arm around my waist and pulls me closer. "Do you want to talk about it now or later?" I give him an odd look even though I know exactly what he's talking about. Why would I want to talk about it here? "Top priority remember?" he says and pokes at his forehead.

I smile. "Later. When you get home from practice."

"Okay." He kisses my temple and unwraps his arm so he can dig into his lunch. "How were your morning classes?"

"Boring. My second class is advanced English. I mean it's interesting enough but there's nobody I know in that class. Whenever we're supposed to discuss parts of the book I just sit there by myself."

"Talk to people then silly. I know you're shy but it isn't like you have to be their friend. I'm sure other people in the class feel the same way as you and just sit there alone."

I smile and feel Landon's body sink onto the bench next to me so I look over to say hi.

"I see you've talked it out. Did you talk about everything?" he asks.

"Everything except gym class..."

Ryan was eavesdropping, well maybe not since we were all sitting close to one another but still.

"What happened in gym?" he asked immediately.

I was going to start telling him but that's when Izzy sat down across from us and I got uncomfortable.

"Uh it really isn't a big deal." I avert my gaze to my sandwich and study the bread like I have an exam about its contents the next day.

"Becca." Landon pushed. When I didn't answer he told Ryan. "I don't think I was there the whole story because I ended it when I overheard. Mel has made the comment once before when we were at Mason's for that movie night, but Izzy called her a slut, loudly." Landon obviously didn't care if Izzy overheard what we were discussing.

Ryan's sandwich stopped in midair between the table and his mouth.

"What?" Landon was going to continue but Ryan held up a finger to silence him before looking directly at me.

"She said that I'm using both of you and can't keep my legs shut since I had a note to get out of gym I must be pregnant and don't know whose baby it would be." I practically ran out of breath from trying to get that sentence out so fast.

"That's ridiculous," Ryan says in a weird tone. "Wait, that's what they said at the movie night that got you upset?"

I nodded and avoided eye contact.

"I told you not to listen to them. You're starting to learn what they're both like now," Landon stated.

"Yeah. Ignore them Becca: and if anything like this happens again tell me okay?"

Ryan's eyes were filled with worry but calmed when I agreed. At that exact moment, Mel arrived for lunch and stopped behind Ryan instead of continuing to her normal spot. Her manicured hand rest on his shoulder and moved down to his bicep closest to me when she leaned over his left side.

"Hey Ry. Aren't you gonna make room for me?" She nudged Mason with her elbow and Ryan's face snapped towards her in shock.

"No." If he was going to say anything else, it was cut off. Mel's red lips were instantly covering his in a sloppy kiss. My jaw dropped open, as well as everyone else's, and I backed into Landon's chest. For an ambush kiss it lasted more than a few seconds and as Ryan's hand left its spot on my thigh to reach for Mel I'd seen enough.