Chapter 105

RYAN'S POV

It was around three o'clock and Bentley had been asleep on my shoulder for a few hours. People filtered in and out of the waiting room but my family all remained, bringing me coffee and chatting with words of encouragement to bring up my spirits.

"Is there a Ryan Bradley here?" An older nurse called out from the reception desk and I almost shot out of my seat but thankfully remembered the snoozing girl leaning against me. Mason gently pulled Bentley towards him, without waking her, and I jogged to the front desk.

"Hi, Ryan Bradley."

"Rebecca Hanson's fiancé correct?" she asked nosily.

"Yes. Is she allowed visitors now?" I was thrumming with excitement and couldn't wait to get to Becca's side.

"We don't want to overwhelm her so just you for now. Later on, we will allow two visitors at once. She's in room 314." Once the room number left the woman's mouth, I was basically speed walking down the hallway.

Room 310... 312... 314! Careful not to startle her, I knocked softly and opened the door surprisingly slow for how excited I was.

The first thing I noticed were the beeps of a heart monitor and other various equipment. After rounding a curtain, I finally saw Becca sleeping soundly on the hospital bed looking so weak. Her face was puffy and had a purple hue and her hair was just laying flat behind her head, still dirty with her blood. The rest of her was tucked under the white blankets and I was almost afraid to see what it looked like so I was glad it was hidden for now.

"Hey baby," I whispered and sat down next to the bed, gently taking her tiny hand in mine. "I love you so much Becs. I'm so sorry all this happened to you but you did such a good job being strong, I'm so proud of you." I quieted for a moment and was somewhat disappointed she hadn't woken up when I came in the room but not really... if you know what I mean. "I'll be here hun. You keep sleeping until you're ready to wake up... I love you sweetheart."

---

I sat in silence and just switched off between holding her hand and caressing it with my fingers. The beeps of the equipment set an interesting tempo and I got lost in a rhythm just staring at my beautiful girl. It was a few hours before the old nurse came in and asked if it was okay for other visitors to come in now.

"I'm not planning on leaving, but others can come in... they'll be happy to see her," I replied quietly, careful not to wake Becca.

My mom came in first with happy tears rolling down her face at the first sight of Becca.

"Oh my poor girl!" she whined and leaned down to kiss Becca's bruised cheek softly. "Has she been asleep the whole time?"

"Yeah. That's okay though, I'm sure she hasn't slept much in the past few days," I answer, never taking my eyes from Becca's face.

"Neither have you dear. I know you want to stay by her side but take a little nap if you must alright?" I smiled at my mom and she walked around the bed to lean down and hug me while I sat in the small chair. "I'm proud of you, Ryan." I scoffed in confusion.

"For what?"

"For being so caring and bringing Becca into your life. You were courageous enough to reach out and fight for her and brave enough to rescue her when she didn't have anyone else to count on. You're such an amazing person and I'm happy you found someone who means this much to you, someone to love as hard as I know you do."

"Well she's an amazing girl," I said with a shrug and refocused on Becca's face, "She deserves someone to fight for her and I'm glad she lets me do it."